PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

PIP Appeal- don’t think I can do it!!

sheZZasheZZa Member Posts: 232 Pioneering
I have my PIP Appeal on Friday and I don’t think I can do it. It’s making me so ill with worry. It’s just not worth it. I haven’t gone through the bundle of documents yet as they only arrived on Thursday and another set today. My son and I are going to read through them thoroughly tonight and tomorrow. I managed to submit some extra evidence last week which has been allowed. My community mental health nurse has written a supportive letter and in it she has said that the worry of this appeal has given me suicidal thoughts. I hope this is taken into account. I’m very nearly done..! 

Replies

• janer1967janer1967 Community champion Posts: 7,358 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Dont give up the fight after coming so far, is it a telephone tribunal ?

They are not always that bad at least if phone there is no face to face to worry over,

Have a good read through and highlight the areas you want to get across that you don't agree with and prepare to explain why you don't agree eg how you are you affected when trying to complete the task

Make a closing summary as they will ask if you have anything to ask and this will make sure you cover everything in case their questions dont

Good luck and keep us updated
  • sheZZasheZZa Member Posts: 232 Pioneering
    @janer1967
    I’m shaking and have been for the last 8/9 days. Thanks for reminding me about a closing statement. I will write how disappointed I am at being failed by the DWP twice for the same claim and the lies that were written. I’ll keep you posted x
    I would try and avoid too much about the lies and focus on how you are affected . I know you want to get the point across about DWP failings and lies but it wont do you any favours 
  • Miss_AnnmarieMiss_Annmarie Member Posts: 20 Courageous
    please take comfort in the fact that a very high percentage of appeals are successful, and you have medical people backing you up, these people are independent and do everything they can to help you through the experience, i think of it like this, after Friday will you be any worse off than you are right now? no but there is a very good chance you will be much better off emotionally and hopefully financially, keep you chine up, everyone here i routing for you..

@janer1967
    I was thinking about saying how disappointed I am asking for help and being let down.
    Thank you for your advice x
    @Miss_Annmarie
    I have been thinking that and counting the days until it’s over. Though  into hours, minutes and seconds yet x
  • efrahill73efrahill73 Member Posts: 5 Listener
    sheZZa said:
    @janer1967
    I’m shaking and have been for the last 8/9 days. Thanks for reminding me about a closing statement. I will write how disappointed I am at being failed by the DWP twice for the same claim and the lies that were written. I’ll keep you posted x

• mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 5,347 Disability Gamechanger
    It’s your appeal so you can absolutely say what you want but...

- 76% of appeals are successful. There’s anecdotal evidence the figure is even higher for telephone hearings. 

- have a drink and some food nearby. Phone hearings inevitably take longer than oral hearings. The average seems to be 90 minutes.

- do not talk across the panel and only answer the question you were asked.

- don’t focus on the HCP report. Make a couple of points about things they got irrefutably wrong and then move on to explaining which points you should get and why. Have at least one example written in advance of what happened last time you attempted each activity. That way you won’t forget them on the day. You don’t get PIP for rubbishing a medical report - one of the panel members is a medical professional so it doesn’t always go down well - you need to make a case based on the strength of your evidence not the weakness of theirs. 

- if you talk about being disappointed at being let down you will possibly come across as someone who feels they’ve a right to the benefit rather than a possible entitlement. However frustrated you are at the process it’s important to not antagonise panel members by saying something that might be important to you but might completely blow it with them. 

@mikehughescq
    thank you for your answer. I think I may have blown it then before it starts. I’ve written a letter saying I was surprised that I wasn’t awarded the same as last time. I wasn’t well at the time and had support from the DWP to complete the form and and it was sent back without enough information written on it which is why I’m appealing. It’s not a complaint or running anyone down it’s more the reason why I think that awards were wrong and that is why I’m I’m appealing. I have new evidence which I think should go in my favour but I will just have to wait and see. It’s been a shambles all the way through :(
    No, that won't have blown anything. That's very much on point.

I'm simply talking about what you say on the day.

it's useful to remember that, whilst it's helpful to be asked to make a closing statement, if you think everything has been covered you can politely decline to say anything at all: 

Taking notes as you go along will always help with this.
    @sheZZa Don't worry about that, saying you are surprised means that you were confident in your entitlement , it is reasonable to tell them you have Further evidence, Don't call it new evidence, it may have been a good idea to send a copy the evidence with the letter, however you will have a chance to present this in tour hearing, and if they need a physical copy of this they will ask you to send it to them, at worst all it can do is delay their decision while they wait for that... You are entitled to this and take stock in that, let it give you confidence and let it bring out the positive, easier said than done i know, before the meeting take some quiet time and bolster yourself, if you need make notes. you can have someone in the room with you, however they wont be able to speak for you.. You Can Do This!!  :) 
    @Miss_Annmarie
    That’s reassuring. Thank you. I have sent the further evidence via email and recorded delivery last week. I’ve had an email that they have received it and it has been accepted and a copy posted to the DWP.
    @mikehughescq
    That’s reassuring too. I’m going through the documents now with my son who is my representative. Happy days.
    As this will be a telephone hearing there will be no new or further evidence (there’s no legal difference there by the way) unless you’ve already sent it in and it’s already in the appeal papers. It’s very unlikely a tribunal will adjourn to see it unless it relates directly to an issue they consider relevant. Telling them you’ve new evidence but haven’t sent it in will likely get you a few sharp questions why not but few tribunals are decided on medical evidence so it’s very unlikely anything will be delayed just so you can send a letter in.
    @mikehughescq
    They have confirmed that they have received the copies of further evidence and are going to send copies to the DWP for their information.  The Court has also sent me back copies of the evidence with each page numbered and requested that I put it in the file. I feel that it is good evidence. One is a report from my mental health support nurse confirming my illness, the way it impacts on my life, the support I need and that it is a life long illness. It confirms everything that I have said but which the HA chose to ignore. I’ve two other reports that I think will be supportive but I’ll just have to wait and see. Roll on Friday afternoon when, hopefully this will all be over. 
    edited June 2020
    Noted. 

Confirming your illness or that it’s long-lasting is neither here nor there. Those things are rarely in dispute. The issue is the impact. Bear in mind that on the day the key evidence will not be reports it will be what you say. Therefore you need to have written down at least one story per activity to refer to when asked about examples of the impact.
    @mikehughescq
    i was working on it all of yesterday and will have to double check I’ve done that. I’ve explained how my panic attacks and anxiety impact on me when leaving the house etc. Is this what you mean? I don’t understand if the evidence has little impact why do you need to send it?  
    You don’t need to send it. The evidence you send in is your choice. As regards anecdotes what I mean is this.

If you are claiming points for prepping food then you need to explain broadly how your conditions impact but then you need to go on and give them an actual example of an incident. It’s like claiming you have falls but then being unable to give them a single detailed example of an actual incident when you did fall.

If you’re talking about leaving the house then you need to refer to the last couple of times you did that, When? To where? Why? With whom? What happened? What happened next? 

That, for every activity you think you score points on. 
    @mikehughescq
    I think I’ve done that so will double check and maybe go into a bit more detail if I need to. Not had much time but although very stressful and rushed I think it’s just as well that I haven’t had months to dwell on it or I’d be in an ever worse state.
    @mikehughescq
    sorry to be a pain and I hope you don’t mind me asking but I’m going through the ha’s report thoroughly for the first time due to chronic pain and severe depression. It is full of lies and inaccuracies. This has not been submitted as my evidence so as I haven’t challenged it, is it worth continuing with the appeal? Or will my new evidence and answers to the descriptors and giving more details about why I think they’re wrong be enough? Sorry to be a pain but anxiety is getting the better of me and I can’t stop shaking. I’m working really hard on it but don’t want to waste everyone’s time.  I’d also like to thank you very much for your patience x
    Pick out the worst two or three examples of something in the HCP report which they have got irrefutably wrong. Choose ones where there is no room for dispute and you have evidence to the contrary. Detail those... and then move on. Forget about the report. 

You need to focus on why you might qualify rather than why they say you don’t. 
    @mikehughescq
    okay I’ll do that. The whole report is wrong. She even said that I consented to a physical assessment but was did not. She never asked and I never had one. These people are pure evil. Thank you. 
  • Lulu_1949Lulu_1949 Member Posts: 225 Pioneering
    hi shezza, good luck my son had his telephone appeal this morning. I know exactly how you are feeling. Keep calm x
  • Lou67Lou67 Member Posts: 815 Pioneering
    Hi shezza just wanted to wish you luck for tomorrow, al be saying a wee prayer for you, let’s no how you get on take care 😊
    @lulu1949
    @Lou67
    thank you. That’s very kind of you both. I’m just finishing off my statement and then I’m done until tomorrow.
    ill keep you posted xx
    🤞get a good nights rest , will be thinking of you 👍x
    @lulu1949
    @Lou67
    @mikehughescq
    i had my phone call this morning. The people were very nice. It took 50 minutes and they really didn’t want know about the h/A’s report they were more interested in my letter. They said that if they had the time they would phone this afternoon but they haven’t so I’ll just have to wait for the letter. Thank you all for you help. 
    Hi Shezza so glad it’s over for you, fingers crossed you’ll get a positive outcome mind let us no how you get on ☺️
    @sheZZa,  keep my fingers crossed. Mine was yesterday and got the letter today so maybe tomorrow? Good luck it would be nice to get it for the weekend x
    @lulu1949 Oh did you receive your letter today how did it go x
    @Lou67
    @lulu1949
    it would be nice to receive it tomorrow  either way. It’ll put me out of my misery lol. xx
    My fingers are also crossed for you Shezza xx
    sheZZa said:
    @lulu1949
    @Lou67
    @mikehughescq
    i had my phone call this morning. The people were very nice. It took 50 minutes and they really didn’t want know about the h/A’s report they were more interested in my letter. They said that if they had the time they would phone this afternoon but they haven’t so I’ll just have to wait for the letter. Thank you all for you help. 
    What I said then really. People obsess on the HCPs report. Tribunals really don't.
    @Mikehughescq yes I understand you. I will say I was worried with the size of my bundle that the would not have read everything but certain things that they came out with definitely made me change my mind. 
    They get the bundle in advance and will preview it at least twice. Once at home alone and once before the hearing in discussion with the other panel members so as to form a preliminary view. However, HMCTS are shockingly poor with distribution of pa OST’s so when members appear to have not read them it’s because they only got them that day. The judges are usually the most diligent on this along with the disability qualified members. The medical professionals less so.
    @mikehughescq , it’s nice to know they do that, I was worried they would only get it about half an hour before.
    To be fair that can occasionally happen but it’s not a regular thing. 
    @mikehughescq 👍glad that we were lucky then , still having to pinch myself

sheZZa said:
    @lulu1949
    @Lou67
    @mikehughescq
    What I said then really. People obsess on the HCPs report. Tribunals really don't.
    Glad you got through it... gives everyone encouragement, especially as we know how worried and stressed you were, well done xxx

@lulu1949
    @Miss_Annmarie
    @mikehughescq

Just a quick update. Envelope dropped on the mat today!
    i nervously opened and I been awarde Enhanced for both until November 2013. 
    Thank you all for your advice, patience and understanding X
    Fantastic news I hope you mean 2023 not 2013 lol 
  • lulu1949lulu1949 Member Posts: 62 Courageous
    @sheZZa oh I am so pleased for you, great that you got enhanced. Wish my son had achieved that but at least he has got pip. Enjoy your weekend x
    @sheZZa. Oh that’s wonderful news I’m so pleased for you, a big weight of your mind 😊
  • katho31katho31 Member - under moderation Posts: 694 Pioneering
    hi Lou and Sandy and everyone :), much better today and had some rest, i apologised to hubby and we are good  :)x how are things? xx
    @Lou67
    @lulu1949
    @janer1967
    Yes 2013, it would be nice it it was 2023 not that I want to be greedy but I hopefully would not have to go through the stress so early. 
    I’m sorry your son didn’t get enhanced @lulu1949 but like you said at least he’s now got something and you can relax too xx
  • lulu1949lulu1949 Member Posts: 62 Courageous
    @sheZZa hi thanks yes trying to relax got so hiped up this week it seems to be taking ages to come down to earth again lol. Think you’ve made a mistake😂 it’s must be 2023 like my son, 2013 was seven years ago 🤣 xx
Sign in or join us to comment.