Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Hello, I joined yesterday. I don’t get a lot of me time so I might drop in now and again. I am a widowed parent to a little boy with ASD. Life has been extra busy of late. I hope everyone is staying safe and well. Nice to find a community online. It’s been very quite in my house, as my son is none verbal with a developmental delay. But he is a delight and I couldn’t of got through this without him. We have been stuck at home since around feb 16th. My coping mechanism has been to focus on my boy and it has been wonderful. Hard, expensive, but wonderful. I don’t do social media (Too many reminders of my late husband) and my family live abroad, so its normally only ever me and my boy. He does attend a special school but not right now. It’s amazing how much you can miss the sound and connection of a human conversation. 1-1 and face to face. We have a pet dog and I even talk to him now lol, giving him his own voice to reply. Takes me back to watching castaway and the ball Wilson ? you gotta laugh or you’d cry. These are unusual times. It’s nice to find people online from similar backgrounds connecting.
I hope everyone is coping well with this heat. I am melting right now
All the best and thanks for reading this.
- 52.9K All Categories
- 10.4K Start here and say hello!
- 4.8K Coffee lounge
- 4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.5K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 148 Community updates
- 12K Talk about your situation
- 1.7K Children, parents, and families
- 756 Work and employment
- 574 Education
- 1.1K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 276 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 263 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 21.1K Talk about money
- 2K Benefits and financial support
- 4.4K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.3K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.4K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4K Talk about your impairment
- 1.3K Cerebral palsy
- 673 Chronic pain and pain management
- 699 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 750 Autism and neurodiversity
- 923 Mental health and wellbeing
- 297 Sensory impairments
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.