What benefits am I entitled to?
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.


Robyn97Robyn97 Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello, so my boyfriend has recently moved in with me to my family home... I am on lwrca part of universal credit and pip. 
My brother and him clash but he would be homeless if he wasn't living here, how easy would it be for us to get our own place and if he worked would I keep any of my benefits etc?
I'm scared because I don't know what to do and how we will be able to afford to live 


  • steve51steve51 Member Posts: 7,175 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Robyn97

    Welcome to our online community/family.

    I am one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

    We have got a number of senior members who will be able to help you.

    Hi @Adrian_Scope

    Sorry but can you both have a look at this post for me???

  • woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 3,783 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Robyn97 your PIP won't be affected, you would claim UC as a couple, as for finding somewhere to live it can depend on the area as to what's avaliable, but for social housing if you have somewhere to live then moving out would be seen as making yourselves intentionally homeless so you might not get anything, renting privately will involve finding somewhere that accept people on benefits, and you would need a months rent as a deposit and a months rent upfront, although some help maybe avaliable for this.
    my advice is given freely and is correct to the best of my knowledge.
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,953

    Scope community team

    Sorry to hear that your brother and your boyfriend aren't getting along @Robyn97. As @Woodbine mentioned, your best option is to look at private rentals in your area. 
    If you take a look and find out what the 1 bedroom LHA is for your area, you could look around and see what you might be able to afford.  https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/
    Senior Community Partner

    Your feedback is really important to the development of the online community, so please remember to complete our online community annual survey
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 9,235 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome Sorry about your situation and I hope you find a solution. If you move in with your boyfriend you will claim as a couple so any earnings would be taken into account for your benefits, but your PIP will not be affected
Sign in or join us to comment.