Help — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help

Options
Robyn97
Robyn97 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello, so my boyfriend has recently moved in with me to my family home... I am on lwrca part of universal credit and pip. 
My brother and him clash but he would be homeless if he wasn't living here, how easy would it be for us to get our own place and if he worked would I keep any of my benefits etc?
I'm scared because I don't know what to do and how we will be able to afford to live 

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Robyn97

Welcome to our online community/family.

I am one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

We have got a number of senior members who will be able to help you.

Hi @Adrian_Scope
    @Chloe_Scope

Sorry but can you both have a look at this post for me???

@steve51
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,618 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Robyn97 your PIP won't be affected, you would claim UC as a couple, as for finding somewhere to live it can depend on the area as to what's avaliable, but for social housing if you have somewhere to live then moving out would be seen as making yourselves intentionally homeless so you might not get anything, renting privately will involve finding somewhere that accept people on benefits, and you would need a months rent as a deposit and a months rent upfront, although some help maybe avaliable for this.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Sorry to hear that your brother and your boyfriend aren't getting along @Robyn97. As @Woodbine mentioned, your best option is to look at private rentals in your area. 
    If you take a look and find out what the 1 bedroom LHA is for your area, you could look around and see what you might be able to afford.  https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome Sorry about your situation and I hope you find a solution. If you move in with your boyfriend you will claim as a couple so any earnings would be taken into account for your benefits, but your PIP will not be affected

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.