Bringing my severely disabled daughter to UK - PLEASE HELP! — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Bringing my severely disabled daughter to UK - PLEASE HELP!

marina333 Member Posts: 2 Listener
Hiya, I am a single mother of two, a teenage son suffering from autism/ ADHD and learning disability and a daughter who is severely disabled and who is currently living with my 83-year-old mother in an European country. She has been living in my parents' flat for more than 10 years now. It was somewhat manageable until my father sadly passed away last year. My mum has been suffering from heart condition and she keeps telling me she cannot take care of my daughter any more. Unfortunately, in my home country there aren't homes for severely disabled adults and I cannot afford paying for my daughter's care either here or there. I have a job, but all my salary goes on house rent and bills. I cannot bring my daughter to stay in the same house here with me because there is no one to take care of her while I am at work - and my work is my life, I wouldn't be able to take care of my son and myself without it. I have been suffering from depression myself.
I hope you can give me advice on who to contact about bringing my daughter here into care. Maybe you know similar cases that had a positive response from the government and the community. I feel very lonely and hopeless, please help me if you can. Thank you.


  • serenity2
    serenity2 Member Posts: 206 Pioneering
    Hi @marina333
    I wanted to say welcome to you.
    im so sorry I personally don’t have a clue about the best way forward for you, although I’m hoping amongst our friends here someone will be able to guide you to some ideas for The best way for for you and your daughter, and I wish you well with this. I’m sorry for what you are experiencing right now. 

    I wish you all the very best in this, hoping things can settle and reach a good arrangement quickly for you all...

    Good wishes 

    Best Wishes
  • marina333
    marina333 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you very much for you emotional support @serenity2, I really appreciate your welcoming answer. I too hope some parents and/or carers who have gone through the same or similar experience,  or who can share useful information  will contact me soon. I could really do with a glimpse of hope right now :(
  • serenity2
    serenity2 Member Posts: 206 Pioneering
    edited July 2020
    I hear you @marina333
    have you made any other  enquiries ,maybe to social services to see what they say...
    I know there’s nothing like getting some true life experiences, from those who have had similar happenings, but maybe to sound out what the options are , initially with a general enquiry at social services , may lead you on to some answers your daughter under 18 ? It would be the difference between speaking to child social care or if over 18 adult social care...

    sorry I’m not a great help but if it were me I would give them a call and ask some general questions...maybe you have, my apologies if so, 
    keep the hope ...things can work out, even when they feel awful right now for you  <3
    Best Wishes
  • serenity2
    serenity2 Member Posts: 206 Pioneering
    Also @marina333
    there is a helpline for scope tel: 0808 800  3333
    Check out help and support here on scope

    Maybe to give them a call they could give you some advice Too, we can never have too  much  ..
    good wishes 
    Best Wishes
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,146 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @marina333 welcome to scope, as i'm sure you are becoming aware this is an unusual situation, the idea to contact social services is sound advice, I would also add that maybe citizens advice would be worth a call. Is your daughter currently living in an EU or EEA country ?
    Be extra nice to new members.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 15,106 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @marina333 Welcome to the community great to have you on board as evertyone else has said this is a complex case which I dont have any knowledge of either. 

    But a few more ideas for you to contact your local MP, maybe a legal rep dealing with this sort of case.

    Is your daughter a UK citizen and would she be entitled to move to UK |?

    Sorry to not be much help
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,557 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @marina333, just wanted to check in to see how things were going. :)


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.