Need some answers — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Need some answers

squipper
squipper Community member Posts: 11 Connected
Hi, I am not sure if I am in the right place here as i have never spoken about my issues. I have been diagnosed with spinal stenosis around L5 and L4 region of my back. This was after suffering from 3 bouts of a herniated discs and then the following MRI scan showed up some arthritis and this was causing stenosis in the lumber region. I have had 2 pain relief injections which were great for about 3 weeks and I was told surgery was an option at first but I have since been told in my case it might not be enough or worth the risks. 
I am still working and trying to lead as fuller life as possible but need some answers. I cannot judge how bad I am or getting. In summary when I get up in the morning I am in pain straight away, I cannot walk downstairs properly (I have to take them 1 at a time until I am "warmed up"). Distance walking varies from day to day, sometimes it's 20 metres and other days it's 200 metres. My legs go numb, I start sweating and my back is really tight and stiff. I have issues with my bodies nether regions (to be aroused is a miracle) but I can still carry out other bodily functions.
I have to squat down to stretch out my back before I can commence walking and even then it is only for a short distance. If I want to go to a supermarket (like a Morrisons) I am lucky if I get half way round before I start holding on to shelves for support. I have had to use a walking stick before, but that doesn't help that much.
I have been to my Doctor and all they did was increase my dosage of Gabepantin to 400mg and give me Codeine to ease the pain. Someone said depression was an issue for them and I agree. Along with the frustration of not being able to stand and cook a fried egg without being in pain. Or even being able to walk in the garden without a stick. It would not be the first time i have been looking at the medication when the pain has been bad, and thought, well you might know the rest. 
I feel like I a disabled but I won't admit defeat until a professional says enough is enough. 
Oh and I have forgot to say when this first happened, well this has been going on for 4 1/2 years now and it is worse now then it was then. 
Thank you for your time in reading this and sorry my tale was so long.

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @squipper

Good Mourning & Welcome.

I am one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

Unfortunately we are unable to offer “Medical Advice” or “Sexual Advice”

We can offer you “Help/Support/Advice” 

Can you ask your “GP” to “Refer” you to a  local “Pain Clinic”

They will be to offer you some help with your “Pain”

Please please don’t worry about the long post as that is what we are all here for.

@steve51

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @squipper Welcome to the community great to have you on board and thank you for sharing your store with us.

Is there anything particular you need answers for it wasn't clear from your post exactly what you are asking apologise if I missed it

Have a good look round and feel free to join in any discussions, if there is anything we can help with just let us know
  • LouiseH
    LouiseH Community member Posts: 96 Courageous
    Morning @squipper how are you doing today? I'm just wondering if you have any support on a day to day basis?
    Louise :smile:
    Louise Hesketh
    Community Champion
  • squipper
    Hi Louise
    sorry it's a late reply. I have no support on a day to day basis. I am not sure if I even qualify as I still go to work although I do struggle to walk in sometimes. It is about a 200m walk. 
    I do not even know if stenosis or arthritis in the back is a disability as no one will tell straight.
    Regards Kevin
  • squipper
    Hi all,
    Please can I say I am not looking for sympathy I just need to know if anyone has suffered or suffers like I do. On a good day I can walk for 15 minutes before my legs and back tie up in a spasm type ache. On bad days 2-3 minutes walking and I need to rest myself.

Regards, Kevin
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @squipper

Yes my “Chronic Pain” is 24/7 - 7 days a week - 365 days a year. 

We we are all here to “help/support” any new members.

Please please let me know if you need any help/advice.

@steve51
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @squipper, how are you getting on today? 
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.