phone WCA waiting time — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

phone WCA waiting time

Options
quinq
quinq Community member Posts: 10 Listener
Hi folks, 

People who've had phone assessments for UC (or indeed ESA because I imagine they're conducted by the same people); how long have you had to wait for one?

I sent my UC50 back end of February/early March and I know it was received, I called chdauk today just to be sure though because I'm quarantined away from home so I wouldn't get post. The guy said it's been processed and they've put me down for a phone assessment. Any ideas how long it's gonna be? He wouldn't give even the vaguest guess, said I just need to wait until they call me and also that there was no way to speed it up

If I don't get a decision by the end of September, I'll lose my UC and, currently, backpay to April 2019! I'm becoming a student from October 1st, and as we know disabled students don't get to keep their UC unless they've been assessed as LCW/RA before they start their course. I can't transfer independently so I definitely do hit the LCWRA criteria.

I'm on PIP, higher both levels. The people at my jobcentre also told me something I think is wrong, but they are all absolutely 100% convinced of - they said that because I'm on PIP and I get the higher daily living component, my UC won't be stopped when I become a student if I'm still waiting on a WCA, because I'll be "classed as a disabled student anyway." I'm sure this isn't true however? 

Thanks!

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community great to have you on board. I dont really have the knowledge to answer your question but I am sure there will be someone here who can.

I will tag other members to see if they can help @Adrian_Scope can you advise or point in the right direction please
  • quinq
    Options
    Okay I have a bit of an update:

I had another call with my jobcentre today, and the guy said there's just no way the jobcentre can deal with this because they're simply not equipped for it, and that I need to phone the helpline and ask to be put through to my case manager who might be able to help. He usefully let slip that most people in our area wait 6-12 months from sending back their UC50 to getting a WCA - which confirms that it's extremely unlikely to happen in the next 2 months without intervention.

The helpline wouldn't forward me on to my case manager and told me to put a note in my journal, and eventually agreed to send an email to my CM as well. I put 'FAO Case Manager' at the top of the message in my journal so hopefully it won't get lost, I've also been told that saying it's about 'a payment' means it flags the CM. We'll see if anyone ever gets back to me.

On Wednesday I have a call with citizen's advice; not sure how much help it'll be, again, we'll have to wait and see.

I emailed my MP about 10 days ago asking for help but no response yet.

One frustrating thing is that obviously they have to assume I don't know how the system works? "Well your partners income will be taken into account when you move" I know and I've taken that into account, I've done all the calculations for the different scenarios. Is there a way I can just share that spreadsheet with them? It would make things a lot easier if they could see

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,289 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,
    As you're already claiming UC then this should continue if a decision hasn't been made by the time you become a student because you are waiting for a WCA. However, if you're going to be claiming a student loan then this could affect the amount of UC you're entitled to, even if you decide not to take the loan. Of course it will depend what sort of loan you have but most maintenance loans affect means tested benefits.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • quinq
    Options
    so I know it will affect my UC (i'm also moving in with my partner just beforehand) during the year at least and I think I'll have to reclaim every single summer

I do also think they'll close my claim though - "Where a disabled claimant is a student at the time of claiming or becomes a student during the Universal Credit claim and is not receiving one of the qualifying benefits or the Work Capability Assessment (WCA) process has not been completed; the type of course they are doing will determine if they have entitlement to Universal Credit." http://data.parliament.uk/DepositedPapers/Files/DEP2019-0980/122_Students_Eligibility_conditionality_and_student_income_v16.0.pdf

We shall see if my case manager ever gets back to me ha!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.