DWP made an offer - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DWP made an offer

2»

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    How are things going @jinn4609?
    Scope

• katho31
    katho31 Posts: 692 Pioneering
  • jinn4609
    jinn4609 Community member Posts: 20 Listener
    ive now been intouch with pip twice since my post and both advisors insist that if i take their offer of daily rate that i cant carry on with my appeal at tribunal.they say becuse they scored me zero point at assesment then changed their mind and awarded me daily rate that i cant carry on with appeal if i accept the offer,ive been intouch with scope advisor over the phone who said that i should be able to carry on with appeal after acepting the offer and to speak to a decision maker about this.the normal pip advisors state that i definetely cant carry on with appeal on this claima nd they will write to tribunal and cancel appeal if i acept the offer.any advice would be appreciated as ive now got conflicting information
  • jinn4609
    he also said i cant launch another apeal on this claim is this right
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    If you accpet the offer then this appeal will end yes BUT as has been advised you can then start a fresh appeal at Tribunal and the wait will start from the beginning again. Of course you will receive your payments while you wait.

Naturally DWP are going to tell you that you won't be able to continue with the appeal... Not correct. Please read mike's advice again above.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • jinn4609
    i have thankyou again for your advice so now i understand this appeal will end but theres nothing stopping me starting a new appeal .ive just today also recieved an email saying tribunal will be sending a letter with a decision and a date for hearing needs set which i dont understand as i havnt been to appeal and dont know what they mean by decision?
  • jinn4609
    so i would be better off taking offer and lodging a new appeal but im unsure of the process thanks

• poppy123456
    jinn4609 said:
    so i would be better off taking offer and lodging a new appeal but im unsure of the process thanks

The process will be the same as it was for this Tribunal. Once you accept DWP offer then this appeal lapses.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • jinn4609
    ok thanks can i ask if accepting this offer to stop me loosing my backdated money would it affect new appeals decision or outcome thanks its just its now over 4000 im standing to loose if i loose my appeal tahnks.im frightened to loose it because im now in debt by loosing my benefits
  • poppy123456
    I'm not sure why you would think you'll lose your backdated money if you accepted this offer. No, you won't lose anything.
  • jinn4609
    sorry i meant if i didnt accept offer and went ahead with current appeal i could possibly loose backmoney if tribunal went with dwp first decision of me scoring zero before they revised it thanks.they say i coulkd loose everything.
  • laurapeach
    laurapeach Community member, Scope Member Posts: 114 Pioneering
    jinn4609 said:
    sorry i meant if i didnt accept offer and went ahead with current appeal i could possibly loose backmoney if tribunal went with dwp first decision of me scoring zero before they revised it thanks.they say i coulkd loose everything.
    if DWP have offered you something now it's because they know the tribunal will offer you the same, if you go to tribunal there's the possibility you would be given a higher award which the DWP don't want as it means more money being paid out by them. If you accept the offer you won't lose your backpay and you can still take it to tribunal once your award is being paid.
    Mum of one little girl.

I am AuDHD and I have M.E/CFS and POTS.
  • poppy123456
    Sounds to me like they are trying to scare you. Whatever you decide to do it's your decision and only you can make it, no one else. Good luck, what ever you decide to do.
  • jinn4609
    thanku not to sound greedy i think ill take offer to guarantee backmoney then lodge an appeal afterwards as my illness is still same and im not getting better just it means ill have benefits back in payment while i appeal again as im heavily in debt now.
  • jinn4609
    hi thanks for reply.i have been intouch with pip several times but the person i needed to speak to wasnt available each time so theyre going to call me supposedly and they said the offer is still open because its not my fault i couldnt get intouch with the advisor.ive now however recieved a detailed account of my appeal through the post which liusts all previous correspondance and of my last pip appeal in 2017 which i actually won.the letter from dwp attached asks that the tribunal dont award me mobility which is fair enough but its asking them to uphold their decision of daily living allowance so im not sure whats happening now ,it says they changed their original findings but couldnt get hold of me ! im unsure which way things are going now and it says the appeal will conytinue but on friday i was told the offer was open thanks
  • jinn4609
    ok if the letter is stating theyve changed their decision and asking the tribunal to uphold their decision not to award mobility and that they offered me the daily living allowance do you in your opinion think i could still walk away with nothing? and ive lost my advisor now thanks
  • jinn4609
    ok well thanks for your advice thanks i hope i havnt made an error with not being able to get intouch with the appropriate advisor thanks
  • apple85
    apple85 Community member Posts: 372 Pioneering
    For me if the dwp are trying to settle early out of court then they think there’s a good chance they will lose. At least that’s what my common sense is telling me - why would the dwp offer money if there’s a good chance they would of won the tribunal and you would of got no money.

theres only one good reason to take a dwp offer - if you are so exhausted by the whole process and want it to be over - which is a very good reason however it does set a precedent that the dwp can successfully bully you into potentially taking a lesser award.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.