MR Advice ? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

MR Advice ?

mumofthetwins Member Posts: 41 Connected
Hi guys 
So we eventually received my mum's pip decision and they awarded her 0 on everything.. I really don't understand as she answered everything honestly as she can not do many things, we gave examples of things she can't do or has hurt herself trying to do in the past and she honestly can't walk to the garden or back. 
The comments on every point was basically that she had not went back to the hospital so was ok even though she is not.
However in the telephone apt (I was with mum as she gets sooo anxious) we explained that she wouldn't leave the house unless forced or she had to, she did refuse physio and other post treatment but only because she was so worried about having to go back to the hospital and yes it has taken me a long time to get her to apply for pip but this was due to her not wanting to go through all this .. she hasn't gotten any better and I had convinced her that after this time she needed the extra help.  

So what would you guys do ? 

I was going to put in a MR .. I have the report from the telephone assesor and again she has just disregarded everything that was said in the meeting and has said that my mum is fine .. which she isn't. 

Any advice woukd be great ... I know not to just say they are all lies but instead I was going to again state how my mum woukd not ago to the hospital. Pre stroke the last time she went to hospital was 38 years ago when she gave birth to my brother. 

Is it worth the MR ? Should I try calling welfare rights ? She is just so deflated and I know how much she worked herself up about this while thing. 



  • mumofthetwins
    mumofthetwins Member Posts: 41 Connected
    Sorry I should of said she had a stroke last year and can't really use her left side or walk more than a few steps and even with the help of her trolley aid she still gets really tired. She also suffers from extreme anxiety .. she only leaves hone when she has had a docs appointment and will only go if my dad takes her and she will only see the same female doctor ... I honestly can't ever remember my mum taking me anywhere and even as a kid she never came to any school occasions or left the home. 

    Thanks xx 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,609 Disability Gamechanger

    Yes the MR then Tribunal route is always advised, rather than a new claim. You'll need to put the request in writing stating where you think she should have scored those points and your reasons why. Try not to concentrate too much on the report, they won't be interested in any of the "lies" that may have been told in there. Give a couple of examples for each activity that applies to her too.

    Do be aware that most MR decisions remain the same so it's likely she'll need to take to it Tribunal.
  • mumofthetwins
    mumofthetwins Member Posts: 41 Connected
    Thanks for your advice .. can I ask should I call them first to say we are doing a MR ? 
    She is terrified of the whole process and I think if unsuccessful at MR then I don't think she would cope with the tribunal. 
    Also is it worth stating in the MR about her reluctance to going to any further hospital visits ? And as the assessment was by phone that they couldn't acutually see her limited mobility ? 

    Sorry for for bothering you just I really appreciate any help you can give 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 15,300 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there, sorry to hear your mum's claim was not successful, when I did my MR i did phone them to request it but also followed this up in writing.

    Have you considered acting as your mum;s appointee so you could speak for her at a tribunal you can request this from DWOP but I am not sure on the conditions of this being appoived
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,609 Disability Gamechanger
    I wouldn't advise you to ring them to request the MR. I would just write the letter and send it with the extra evidence if you need to send more.

    I disagree about the appointee just so that you can speak for her. You should only be ab appointee for someone if they are unable to manage their own claim because they are mentally incapable or severely disabled.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.