Trying to have a normal birthday...umm advice? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Trying to have a normal birthday...umm advice?

Options
Francis_theythem
Francis_theythem Community member Posts: 120 Pioneering
So it's my birthday in 15 days and my aunt and uncle want to spend it together with me - I love them dearly and I'm very happy about this. But I've been bedridden for a while and I don't really know what to do?? I'm not used to doing normal things anymore so I freak out when I have to choose something normal >< Also they asked me I want as a gift and I have no idea of that either. Ehhh I'm a mess, I don't know how to do things anymore. Kind of feel ridiculous about being stuck on this but I'm sure I don't really have to explain how hard things like this can be

My functional level is: I can walk a bit now and I can leave the house in my wheelchair for a couple of hours so I can go places. Eating is a bit of a problem at the moment because I can only eat plain food and not that much of it (thanks, digestive system ><).  

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Francis_theythem. I think I remember that you like gardening. For my birthday last month, my son & daughter-in-law couldn't think what to get me. Then they came up with the idea of taking me to a garden centre during the week when they thought it would be quieter. I hadn't been anywhere since February, so it felt a bit strange, but I enjoyed it, & they bought me some plants that I chose.
    Might that be an idea for you? :)
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,619 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Similar to the above idea would be a garden visit at a stately home or similar if there are any near you.  It's outside so very low risk of Corona and they generally have tea rooms where you could rest and have a small bit of plain food or just a drink if that suits.  

You'd have to check if the terrain is wheelchair friendly as I guess some gardens may not be.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,011 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @Francis_theythem. One of my favourite birthdays was very simple - we went to a local park and sat near the ponds there. It was very low-key, but it meant I spent some quality time with the people I care about without distractions of food, other people or gadgets. Would you enjoy something like that? Especially if you've not seen them in a while.

I really like @chiarieds' idea of the garden centre as it covers the gift too. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi I think the ideas above are good ones for you.

I like being by water it makes me feel so much better 

Either way I hope you enjoy your birthday and dont let your condition beat you enjoy some freedom and fresh air for a change 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Francis_theythem, I hope other suggestions have been helpful. If you didn't fancy gardening supplies then what about a gift card? Another alternative could be some IOU's. Things like:
    • IOU a film day
    • IOU a trip to a garden centre
    • IOU a games day (board games, card games...)
    I got something like this a few years ago and it was the sweetest. It meant I could 'cash them in' when my health allowed me to. It also was filled with quality time with the people I care about. :)
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.