Trying to have a normal birthday...umm advice? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Trying to have a normal birthday...umm advice?

Francis_theythem
Francis_theythem Community member Posts: 120 Pioneering
So it's my birthday in 15 days and my aunt and uncle want to spend it together with me - I love them dearly and I'm very happy about this. But I've been bedridden for a while and I don't really know what to do?? I'm not used to doing normal things anymore so I freak out when I have to choose something normal >< Also they asked me I want as a gift and I have no idea of that either. Ehhh I'm a mess, I don't know how to do things anymore. Kind of feel ridiculous about being stuck on this but I'm sure I don't really have to explain how hard things like this can be

My functional level is: I can walk a bit now and I can leave the house in my wheelchair for a couple of hours so I can go places. Eating is a bit of a problem at the moment because I can only eat plain food and not that much of it (thanks, digestive system ><).  

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Francis_theythem. I think I remember that you like gardening. For my birthday last month, my son & daughter-in-law couldn't think what to get me. Then they came up with the idea of taking me to a garden centre during the week when they thought it would be quieter. I hadn't been anywhere since February, so it felt a bit strange, but I enjoyed it, & they bought me some plants that I chose.
    Might that be an idea for you? :)
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Similar to the above idea would be a garden visit at a stately home or similar if there are any near you.  It's outside so very low risk of Corona and they generally have tea rooms where you could rest and have a small bit of plain food or just a drink if that suits.  

You'd have to check if the terrain is wheelchair friendly as I guess some gardens may not be.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Francis_theythem. One of my favourite birthdays was very simple - we went to a local park and sat near the ponds there. It was very low-key, but it meant I spent some quality time with the people I care about without distractions of food, other people or gadgets. Would you enjoy something like that? Especially if you've not seen them in a while.

I really like @chiarieds' idea of the garden centre as it covers the gift too. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi I think the ideas above are good ones for you.

I like being by water it makes me feel so much better 

Either way I hope you enjoy your birthday and dont let your condition beat you enjoy some freedom and fresh air for a change 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Francis_theythem, I hope other suggestions have been helpful. If you didn't fancy gardening supplies then what about a gift card? Another alternative could be some IOU's. Things like:
    • IOU a film day
    • IOU a trip to a garden centre
    • IOU a games day (board games, card games...)
    I got something like this a few years ago and it was the sweetest. It meant I could 'cash them in' when my health allowed me to. It also was filled with quality time with the people I care about. :)
    Scope

Brightness