Any experience of owning a caravan? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Any experience of owning a caravan?

mandi1974
mandi1974 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi guys wonder if anybody could give me some advice. Does anybody have any experience of owning a caravan ? Just need some advice.  Thank you

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mandi1974, are you looking for anything particular when getting a caravan? Access requirements for example. :)
    Scope

• mandi1974
    Hi we have bought the caravan and since found out we r not allowed to fit an outside washing machine.  Son is autistic and husband who has Alzheimer's as well so has issues in that department.  Other people have them fitted but they have introduced new part of licence that new people are not allowed 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community. Who is is that is saying you cannot fit one is it the site management. If so was there anything in the agreement or did you check up before you agreed to the terms. Is there anything in the small print.

If not ask if you can see something in writing about when they changed this and how they notified people of the change

Maybe speak to them nicely and explain why you need this and could they make an adjustment on this occasion
  • mandi1974
    Management and yes in small print husband who has Alzheimer's signed the agreement he was adamant!! Have asked 4 appointment with site manager over this sales lady had replied to my emails stating everytime site manager says no. Sales girl has emailed now saying 2 email site itself as she cant help no more so i have stating its for attention of site manage and to accept this email as a request for reasonable adjustment for son and husband. This is after i took advice from a helpline . I've heard nothing back yet
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Ok not much else you can do till they respond

Maybe one of the other owners would permit you to use theirs I know this is big ask 

Also as management if they gave any plans to install communal washing as they have taken option away of private 
  • mandi1974
    They have on site laundrette but closed due to social distancing 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry to hear about the problems you've been having @mandi1974. Let us know whether you get an email back from the site manager! 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    We live in a residential park home and have the protection in law from the 1983 act and 2003 updated act, we owned a holiday caravan many years ago and it was a nightmare I wouldn't have one given me tbh.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mandi1974 - & welcome to the community. Would a worktop washing machine be any good for you? The better ones seem to be about £100 such as this one with over 200 good reviews: https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8864970?clickSR=slp:term:portable washing machine:1:187:1
    Or look on Amazon, find one with decent reviews, then google it's name to find the best price. Hope that may be an option. :)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.