Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Hope for the Gambia - Please Help
My name is Mai originally from the Gambia, West of Africa, residing in the UK. I am appealing to you for help.
Covid 19 has touched the lives of the many, the whole world in fact. The Gambia has not been an exception . People there are really suffering especially the front liners. The health professionals have not got the PPE required to help them help others. This is just the tip of the iceberg. Nurses and doctors are contracting Covid 19 due to the lack of PPE. Health professionals and people are dying. In a small country that is under developed, the health system collapsing, its people poor to afford any health care for themselves, is calling for disaster to strike.
There are no proper facilities or equipments in hospitals, let alone medications especially a Medical centre in a small town called Brikama. People in Brikama are dying unnecessarily. A good example is when an ambulance is required during an emergency, one is being asked to fuel the ambulance otherwise you will not be transported to hospital. How can a very sick person take care of fuel for an ambulance in that condition. As a result, on many occasions people die as they were not in a position to source as requested. The hospital lack essential items such as beds, chairs, medical items/equipments, wheelchairs, mobility aids, PPE's to name just a few and many other facilities required in a hospital. People there are crying out for help.
I therefore, appeal to you in supporting any way you can. Equipments not being used any longer are highly welcomed.
Please do let me know should you require any further information.
Your consideration will be highly appreciated.
- 52.9K All Categories
- 10.4K Start here and say hello!
- 4.8K Coffee lounge
- 4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.5K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 148 Community updates
- 12K Talk about your situation
- 1.7K Children, parents, and families
- 756 Work and employment
- 574 Education
- 1.1K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 275 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 263 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 21.1K Talk about money
- 2K Benefits and financial support
- 4.4K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.3K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.4K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4K Talk about your impairment
- 1.3K Cerebral palsy
- 673 Chronic pain and pain management
- 698 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 750 Autism and neurodiversity
- 923 Mental health and wellbeing
- 297 Sensory impairments
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.