Coffee lounge
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

National Relaxation Day - What do you do to relax?

Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Posts: 3,235

Scope community team

Hello, I hope everyone is having a pleasant weekend :) 

As today is National Relaxation Day, we want to know what you like to do to relax? Whether it be go for a walk or enjoy a lovely cup of tea, which thing or things do you most look forward to doing at the end of the day or week?

For me, it's listen to music. After a long and tiring day, or at the weekend when I can chill out, listening to music is my favourite way to relax.

What about you?
Online Community Coordinator

Find out more about, and apply for, the Community Co-production Group.

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Replies

• serenity2serenity2 Member Posts: 206 Pioneering
    I love listening to music too 😊
    or watching something to distract me , maybe a football match 😁
    or a good movie or series...
    mindfulness is good too 

im distracting myself writing on here at the moment 😊 replying and putting up posts...chatting to members here Is a nice distraction at times 
    and can in turn relax me, if I’m not having a great day 

:)
    Best Wishes
    serenity2 
  • Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Posts: 3,235

Scope community team

@serent

I completely agree with you about this forum, it can be a relaxing place where you can enjoy some chit chat :) 

Your other methods of relaxation are great suggestions, what music do you like listening to? 

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
  • serenity2serenity2 Member Posts: 206 Pioneering
    Hi @Ross_Scope

my taste in music is so varied ..I enjoy jazz, soul, pop. Sometimes classical..whatever mood I’m in haha ...music can be so inspiring..and can help me ..I tend to put music on when I’m cleaning around the place, it helps 😊
    🌻🌻
     :)
    Best Wishes
    serenity2 
  • 66Mustang66Mustang Community Co-Production Group Posts: 4,690 Disability Gamechanger
    I like going for a drive on the country lanes. I have been finding things really hard recently but when I go for a drive it calms me down and makes me feel a bit better. :)

Scope community team

@serenity2
    That's very true, music can be inspiring, motivating and uplifting, and it makes a great soundtrack to cleaning :D You certainly have a varied music taste.

@66Mustang
    Sorry to hear that you've not been doing great recently, I hope things improve :) That's interesting to hear, I'm glad that having a drive helps you. I sometimes wish I could just hop in a car and drive along some peaceful country lanes, but I can't drive due to my eyesight. Can't beat that fresh country air though can you? 

Hope things improve for you soon, the community is always here if you need support :) 

• 66Mustang66Mustang Community Co-Production Group Posts: 4,690 Disability Gamechanger
    @Ross_Scope I am sorry to hear about your eyesight stopping you from driving. Are you able to cycle or walk in the countryside?

Also, thanks for the well wishes :)
  • leeCalleeCal Member Posts: 3,383 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2020
    I meditate daily and over time the calm mind during meditation can be induced without meditating, a bit like muscle memory if you will. It’s a lovely habit to get into. 

It is said that our minds are by nature calm calm and clear thinking but that life’s trials and tribulations, momentary and often transient though they sometimes are, disturb this inner tranquility in the untrained mind. The role of meditation can be to re educate the mind and give it control over these momentary fluctuations, hence the ability to induce caaaalllllmmmmmnnnneeeesssss at will 🖖😌
  • Francis_theythemFrancis_theythem Member Posts: 120 Pioneering
    Essential oils! It was my birthday yesterday and my sister got me a bracelet with foam that you soak essential oils in so it smells very calming. It's my new favourite way of calming down in public and social situations.
    I like physical games I can do on my own, like jigsaw. It focuses my mind in a way that isn't on any stressful or emotional things and helps me relax.
    That's so interesting @leeCal. Meditation has always been really difficult for me since I got physically ill and I never managed it. 
    edited August 2020
    Belated happy birthday @Francis_theythem.
    I find the best way is to count breaths to relax me initially. So I close my eyes and count each out breath from one to ten and then start again. Breathing at a natural speed and just very lightly thinking about the in and out breath. If I forget the number I’m on I just start again from one. This is also a mindfulness technique taught by Thich Nat Hahn but he also advocates counting both in and out breaths, eg in one, out one, in two out two etc. 

I initially started doing this for five minutes, then ten, then fifteen etc and usually now I do it for half an hour almost exactly without using an alarm. As I said, the mind becomes trained to become calm and for how long. Sometimes I fall asleep but on waking I simply return to meditation in an unbroken fashion. Falling asleep is when the mind is too loose. Over thinking during mediation is when the mind is too tight. The guitar strings play best when not too tight and not too loose, so it is with the mind. Never obsess about it during meditation since that is inducing stress. Just relax and enjoy calm clear mind letting any thoughts pass by like little white clouds on a summers day.
    i hope this might help you 🙂

Scope community team

Some very interesting methods of relaxation here, I might have to give some of them a try :) 

@66Mustang I can walk in the countryside and I sometimes do as I live right near some beautiful rural places. I don't think I would feel safe enough to cycle though, I struggle to see things that are coming toward me or that I'm approaching, so I would likely be a danger to myself and others if I did. However I am interested in joining a tandem cycling club one day though since that would only involve peddling on my part and would allow me to use what sight I do have to appreciate the scenery.

Using a tandem is such a great idea for you @Ross_Scope !
    Of course sometimes all It takes to relax is a nice cup of coffee and a chat with a friend. Perhaps followed by a little retail therapy 😃
  • Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Posts: 3,422

Scope community team

I hear you @leeCal Retail therapy sounds like my kind of relaxation :D 

Personally, walking or trying to jog is really good for clearing my head.  Getting out and about in nature, be it my garden or a local park is very calming.  Oh, and chocolate.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
    Thank you for your advice @leeCal! I've never thought of doing it for a very short time at first and then building it up. Perhaps I was trying to do something too much too soon? Is there anything by Thich Nat Hahn you recommend? I will start trying to do this in my morning routine.

@Cher_Scope I also find going outside is a good way to clear my mind and relax. I don't have the ability to do that too much though. Also I have a tendency to walk too fast, but I think this is because it's difficult to relax properly for me and something I need to work on.
    @Francis_theythem this could be of use to you
    https://www.lionsroar.com/mindful-living-thich-nhat-hanh-on-the-practice-of-mindfulness-march-2010/
    There are other articles written by him on the same website, any and all are of value.
    best wishes.

Scope community team

Thank you for your advice @leeCal! I've never thought of doing it for a very short time at first and then building it up. Perhaps I was trying to do something too much too soon? Is there anything by Thich Nat Hahn you recommend? I will start trying to do this in my morning routine.

@Cher_Scope I also find going outside is a good way to clear my mind and relax. I don't have the ability to do that too much though. Also I have a tendency to walk too fast, but I think this is because it's difficult to relax properly for me and something I need to work on. 
    @Francis_theythem Have you ever tried walking while listening to a podcast?  That might be something for you to focus on while you are out and about.

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 9,332 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi all some great relaxation tips here. Personally I like to relax in a nice hot bubble bath with a cup of tea and listening to music, so relaxing I usually fall asleep 
  • RAwarriorRAwarrior Member Posts: 430 Pioneering
    @Ross_Scope

Gardening, reading and going to the park to feed the wildlife🐿🦆
  • OverlyAnxiousOverlyAnxious Member Posts: 1,268 Disability Gamechanger
    I frequently shout RELAX, RELAX, RELAX repeatedly in my head during a panic attack...  Ironically, it's not at all relaxing but has become a habit I can't get out of!  :D

I've never been good at relaxing though.  I get bored and restless so easily and always have to be doing something.   I've never understood how people can just lay on a beach or sit in the garden for hours at a time.  I've tried to sit on park benches a couple of times a month (exposure for agora/OCD/SA) but even then I force myself to stay there for a specific time, say 10 minutes, and I'm not sure that's how relaxing is meant to work!  :#

Scope community team

A good tip to help relax on a night time and get you to sleep is imagining a completely blue room, with blue walls, blue curtains, a blue sofa and the words RELAX written in (a different shade of) blue on the wall.

Yawn.  The thought of it is working :D 

Keep at it @OverlyAnxious.  I find it hard to switch off and might try what you do, just sitting on a park bench with no other distractions for 10 minutes at a time to practice mindfulness.  There is more information about mindfulness for those unfamiliar with it on this Mindfulness NHS webpage.

Sounds like Eiffel 65's house!  (I remember buying this single in Woolworths around 1999 haha!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgztfRBc2jM

Scope community team

Oh that song!! It was a real earworm wasn't it :D

@OverlyAnxious have you tried hard exercise? If you exercise enough the endorphins released force you to relax and to feel good. Press ups or skipping are both good as long as your health allows it of course.
    leeCal said:
    @OverlyAnxious have you tried hard exercise? If you exercise enough the endorphins released force you to relax and to feel good. Press ups or skipping are both good as long as your health allows it of course.
    Good idea but my health doesn't allow for that sadly - I have a brain that won't stop and a body that won't go! :D

I have very little energy or stamina, and spend most of the time with stomach/bowel pain, nausea, reflux, dizziness and/or light-headedness.  Even a gentle walk or a few minutes cleaning is more exercise than I can manage without long lasting consequences.  Bit of a sore point really as the GP just brushes it off as anxiety related but I'm not convinced.  Also the fact he referred to it as my 'tummy' didn't fill me with confidence...  :#

I used to be able to detail the car (lengthy cleaning, polishing etc) or do some gardening at my Nan's house which I guess I did find relaxing now I think about it!  Now, I'm just stuck in a chair for 99% of the time which is extremely frustrating.  I'm hoping to move somewhere with a small garden or attached driveway to try and get back into something like that slowly in small increments, it's not possible at my current flat though.
    Oh that’s a shame @OverlyAnxious, let’s hope you get a garden soon as that sounds as though it might help s lot. Best wishes.
    @OverlyAnxious
    @leeCal

I’m sorry to hear about your health issues. 

Have you considered growing some small indoor plants which could be something more manageable and might be therapeutic? 

There are lots of ideas on the Internet about the types of plants that can be grown indoors and there are several members of the online community who know a lot about gardening so might be able to give you some ideas?

I find gardening therapeutic although I do find it do find it quite difficult once I see the results it feels really rewarding😁
    Best wishes 😁

edited August 2020
    @RAwarrior I’ve never tried it but bonsai trees look like fun.
    (should find them at the garden centre in the reduced section 😄)
    @leeCal
    That’s a really good idea and I have never tried to grow them 😁

I have also noticed that those indoor gardens in a glass container that used to be popular in the 80s have made a come back. I went to the garden centre recently and I noticed them. 

I don’t know much about house plants though but there was a large selection in the garden centre.😁🌼🌺
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Such great ideas! I love to read or crochet. I also find music and my favourite films a good way to chill out. :)
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
    Indoor plants sound like such a good idea! But maybe it would risk me going overboard and creating an indoor garden....
    @Francis_theythem

Maybe just start with a few small plants to see how you get on. 

As I mentioned before there are lots of keen gardeners on here who might be able to give you quality ideas. I know more about outdoor plants but I can try to make suggestions. 

I have mentioned this before on the gardening threads but there are lots of really good gardening channels on YouTube. I have got a lot of ideas from these channels🌺💐
  • GrinchyGrinchy Member Posts: 318 Pioneering
    lots of great ideas in this thread, i have my own room at home to sit in surrounded by my star wars collection, it usually calms me right down, recently it hasn't worked as well, but today it did, i sit in my recliner and just chill out for a bit, i also enjoy being online on various forums, and here of course,
    @Grinchy
    Great to hear you are a Star Wars fan👍

I have to say I prefer the original Star Wars films😁
  • Tori_ScopeTori_Scope Posts: 4,127

Scope community team

I worry about the same thing @Francis_theythem... Especially because I know I'd get loads and then get bored of them after a few months! 

Personally I love doing puzzles, especially sudoku and crosswords, whilst listening to some relaxing music. There's nothing quite like it. 
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    @Tori_Scope This is exactly the same - I'd get loads, would run out of energy taking care of them and then they'd all die ><
    I got a jigsaw and jigsaw board recently, so I'm looking forward to start doing that. Also, a good low level social activity!
    @RAwarrior
    Yeah i love the movies, i prefer the originals myself, but like all they have done so far, i have a thread where i show my collection off in the coffee lounge have a look if you want

Scope community team

Yes, me too @Francis_theythem. I have some cacti that I've managed to keep alive for years, but they're pretty low maintenance. I might get myself one house plant and see how it goes.

I love jigsaws as well! Oh yes, low level social activity is the best kind of social activity. Chilling at home or outside with a couple of friends is a real mood lifter, I find. 

Scope community team

edited August 2020
    I just looked and your Star Wars collection is amazing @Grinchy! Who's your favourite character? 

@Grinchy

I have looked at your Star Wars thread and wow what an amazing collection😀

The Millennium Falcon is amazing😄

What a huge amount of time and effort you have made to have such a wonderful collection, I am impressed😁

I didn’t mind the later Star Wars films and my favourite one out of those ones is Rogue One.

Do you have any Yoda figurines? Yoda is one of my favourite character😁 

Hey @Tori_Scope glad you like my collection, my favourite character is Luke, as a kid growing up  i went through some horrible abuse, but i always knew Luke and the gang would be there for me at the end of the day, kept me going and still does,
    @RAwarrior, glad you like the falcon it is a favourite of mine, glad you like the movies to i like rogue one a lot, as for yoda, i do have a few figures of him, latest was the luke jedi training pack with luke and yoda 

Scope community team

I'm sorry to hear that you had to go through that @Grinchy, but I'm glad you found some comfort in the characters. I've always loved Han Solo, and I've got a soft spot for the droids too. 

Now for the most important question: who shot first? :D

@Grinchy

I am glad that your wonderful Stars Wars Collection is there as a sanctuary for you and that it is somewhere that you can go to to😁

I think the original Star Wars films are incredible and sometimes people forget that they were really pioneering especially the amazing open credits with the brilliant accompanying soundtrack😁

Scope community team

I agree @RAwarrior! That opening scene in A New Hope is so good every time too. I can only imagine what it would have been like to experience that in 1977. 

@Tori_Scope

I think the original Star Wars films were ahead of their time and they didn’t rely on all of the special effects that many films rely on these days.😁

Scope community team

Very true @RAwarrior. I do like CGI if it's done well, but the fact that they made handmade models of the ships in the old ones is super cool!

The original movies are definitely the best, i saw it as a kid of 6 in the cinema it was amazing, CGI is good but physical models and sets are better, as for my room its a great little place, keeps me going on difficult days
    @Tori_Scope
    And han shot first, lol i have the original unaltered movies on bluray i found a bootleg  seller on ebay, original all the way

Scope community team

Correct answer @Grinchy

@Grinchy

I really like the original Star Wars films because as you say they relied on physical models as sometimes I think there is too reliance on CGI these days. 

I prefer to see really good acting with a great storyline than lots of special effects 😁

I am really glad that your room is a place that helps you.😁 

I am really impressed with the efforts you must have made to amass such a wonderful collection and by the way you have clearly looked after it😁

As I have previously mentioned although it is very different from your wonderful sanctuary, I find that spending time interacting with wildlife (particularly squirrels)  really helps me in a similar way to your Star Wars room helps you. 

I have started a thread called Squirrels and Friends if you would like to see some of my little friends who have really helped me to cope during  some very low times🐿
    @RAwarrior, thank you, i'm glad you have your own way of winding down, the photos are great!
  • SeanchaiSeanchai Member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    Hi guys...I have not been on here for a while , the summer months is time for gardening and greenhouse ....😉🙂
    I used to spend a lot of my spare time in a paranormal group ...visiting various places that were " haunted " ... I have a kinda sixth sense and can feel various things that some others do not feel or see. 
     I also played guitar , bluegrass banjo , bohdran , flute , pennywhistle and a bit accordion ....I played guitar and sang in pubs . I also played in a band for 20 years . ....they reckon between my work ( on heavy presses and production line as a maintenance engineer )and playing music ,  I got terrible tinnitus in my right ear about 20 years ago , I eventually went completely deaf in that ear,  I could have put up with being deaf in that ear but my jet engine tinnitus continues 24/7 ...from the first thing I waken up until I get a few hours sleep with drug induced sleep ( prescribed I hasten to add) . At first when they said there was nothing they could do for my tinnitus , I was on the edge as I could not live in such a way ( without sleep ) ...I attended regular tinnitus clinics and tried everything I heard of to help my tinnitus....the specialists told me I must learn to ignore it .Easier said than done , if not for my wife and children and grand children I doubt if I would have stuck around this world . My tinnitus drove me crazy . Name any remedy you have heard for tinnitus and over the years I have tried everything I could think of ....or was advised . The closest I came to help was meditation . 
    I gave up playing music as it seemed to make my tinnitus worse ....I cannot hear anything in that ear now ....bar the tinnitus of course.
    My hearing has went downhill in my left ear now ( 20% hearing now) and I have bluetooth hearing aids..... which help my left ear considerably . I just hope I do not lose my hearing completely .
    🙄🤔🙏🏻
    I am severly limited physically now due to breathing problems but I enjoy the greenhouse...I also have menieres disease and I used to get drop attacks ....I could be in the greenhouse working away and it would hit me ....it was like I was really drunk and the world started spinning ...I had to crawl on hands and knees into the house and lay in bed with my eyes closed until the terrible dizziness stopped ( that could be anywhere from eight hours to twenty four hours ) ...of course I had to give up driving as I could never take the chance of a 'drop attack'  hitting me when I was behind the wheel .I stay in the hills and we miss the car ...but my family have been excellent in helping out ...especially in the last six months during lockdown.  
    Thank God my family is close at hand 👍🏽🙏🏻

• male45male45 Member Posts: 313 Pioneering
    hi everyone
    My relaxation is i simply sleep.
    I can sleep for Ireland given the chance.
    I know I'm boring but that's how I relax.

Best Wishes 

Scope community team

Nothing wrong with a good sleep @male45 :) 

Scope community team

edited August 2020
    Hello and welcome back to the community @Seanchai!

I'm sorry to hear that you've had troubles with your tinnitus, breathing difficulties, and Meniere's disease, but it's great that your family are so supportive, and that you take the time to do some gardening :) 

Many of our other members also have green fingers. You can see (and post your own!) some wildlife pictures on this thread, and connect with others who enjoy gardening on this thread and this thread. 

I look forward to seeing you around.

I listen to Smooth Radio as it is very relaxing.

Scope community team

Have to say I've definitely been given some new ideas of how to relax in this thread, thank you all :) 

• Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Fellow puzzle lover here! I have a jigsaw app on my iPad which I love. Also Sudoku and other number puzzles. :)  
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
Sign in or join us to comment.