National Relaxation Day - What do you do to relax? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

National Relaxation Day - What do you do to relax?

Ross_Alumni
Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
Hello, I hope everyone is having a pleasant weekend :) 

As today is National Relaxation Day, we want to know what you like to do to relax? Whether it be go for a walk or enjoy a lovely cup of tea, which thing or things do you most look forward to doing at the end of the day or week?

For me, it's listen to music. After a long and tiring day, or at the weekend when I can chill out, listening to music is my favourite way to relax.

What about you?
Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Comments

• serenity2
    serenity2 Community member Posts: 250 Pioneering
    I love listening to music too ?
    or watching something to distract me , maybe a football match ?
    or a good movie or series...
    mindfulness is good too 

im distracting myself writing on here at the moment ? replying and putting up posts...chatting to members here Is a nice distraction at times 
    and can in turn relax me, if I’m not having a great day 

:)
    Best Wishes
    serenity2 
  • Ross_Alumni
    @serent

I completely agree with you about this forum, it can be a relaxing place where you can enjoy some chit chat :) 

Your other methods of relaxation are great suggestions, what music do you like listening to? 

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • serenity2
    serenity2 Community member Posts: 250 Pioneering
    Hi @Ross_Scope

my taste in music is so varied ..I enjoy jazz, soul, pop. Sometimes classical..whatever mood I’m in haha ...music can be so inspiring..and can help me ..I tend to put music on when I’m cleaning around the place, it helps ?
    ??
     :)
    Best Wishes
    serenity2 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    I like going for a drive on the country lanes. I have been finding things really hard recently but when I go for a drive it calms me down and makes me feel a bit better. :)
  • Ross_Alumni
    @serenity2
    That's very true, music can be inspiring, motivating and uplifting, and it makes a great soundtrack to cleaning :D You certainly have a varied music taste.

@66Mustang
    Sorry to hear that you've not been doing great recently, I hope things improve :) That's interesting to hear, I'm glad that having a drive helps you. I sometimes wish I could just hop in a car and drive along some peaceful country lanes, but I can't drive due to my eyesight. Can't beat that fresh country air though can you? 

Hope things improve for you soon, the community is always here if you need support :) 

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    @Ross_Scope I am sorry to hear about your eyesight stopping you from driving. Are you able to cycle or walk in the countryside?

Also, thanks for the well wishes :)
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2020
    I meditate daily and over time the calm mind during meditation can be induced without meditating, a bit like muscle memory if you will. It’s a lovely habit to get into. 

It is said that our minds are by nature calm calm and clear thinking but that life’s trials and tribulations, momentary and often transient though they sometimes are, disturb this inner tranquility in the untrained mind. The role of meditation can be to re educate the mind and give it control over these momentary fluctuations, hence the ability to induce caaaalllllmmmmmnnnneeeesssss at will ??

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Francis_theythem
    Francis_theythem Community member Posts: 120 Pioneering
    Essential oils! It was my birthday yesterday and my sister got me a bracelet with foam that you soak essential oils in so it smells very calming. It's my new favourite way of calming down in public and social situations.
    I like physical games I can do on my own, like jigsaw. It focuses my mind in a way that isn't on any stressful or emotional things and helps me relax.
    That's so interesting @leeCal. Meditation has always been really difficult for me since I got physically ill and I never managed it. 
  • leeCal
    edited August 2020
    Belated happy birthday @Francis_theythem.
    I find the best way is to count breaths to relax me initially. So I close my eyes and count each out breath from one to ten and then start again. Breathing at a natural speed and just very lightly thinking about the in and out breath. If I forget the number I’m on I just start again from one. This is also a mindfulness technique taught by Thich Nat Hahn but he also advocates counting both in and out breaths, eg in one, out one, in two out two etc. 

I initially started doing this for five minutes, then ten, then fifteen etc and usually now I do it for half an hour almost exactly without using an alarm. As I said, the mind becomes trained to become calm and for how long. Sometimes I fall asleep but on waking I simply return to meditation in an unbroken fashion. Falling asleep is when the mind is too loose. Over thinking during mediation is when the mind is too tight. The guitar strings play best when not too tight and not too loose, so it is with the mind. Never obsess about it during meditation since that is inducing stress. Just relax and enjoy calm clear mind letting any thoughts pass by like little white clouds on a summers day.
    i hope this might help you ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Ross_Alumni
    Some very interesting methods of relaxation here, I might have to give some of them a try :) 

@66Mustang I can walk in the countryside and I sometimes do as I live right near some beautiful rural places. I don't think I would feel safe enough to cycle though, I struggle to see things that are coming toward me or that I'm approaching, so I would likely be a danger to myself and others if I did. However I am interested in joining a tandem cycling club one day though since that would only involve peddling on my part and would allow me to use what sight I do have to appreciate the scenery.

• leeCal
    Using a tandem is such a great idea for you @Ross_Scope !

― Dalai Lama XIV

• leeCal
    Of course sometimes all It takes to relax is a nice cup of coffee and a chat with a friend. Perhaps followed by a little retail therapy ?

― Dalai Lama XIV

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    I hear you @leeCal Retail therapy sounds like my kind of relaxation :D 

Personally, walking or trying to jog is really good for clearing my head.  Getting out and about in nature, be it my garden or a local park is very calming.  Oh, and chocolate.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

• Francis_theythem
    Francis_theythem Community member Posts: 120 Pioneering
    Thank you for your advice @leeCal! I've never thought of doing it for a very short time at first and then building it up. Perhaps I was trying to do something too much too soon? Is there anything by Thich Nat Hahn you recommend? I will start trying to do this in my morning routine.

@Cher_Scope I also find going outside is a good way to clear my mind and relax. I don't have the ability to do that too much though. Also I have a tendency to walk too fast, but I think this is because it's difficult to relax properly for me and something I need to work on.
  • leeCal
    @Francis_theythem this could be of use to you
    https://www.lionsroar.com/mindful-living-thich-nhat-hanh-on-the-practice-of-mindfulness-march-2010/
    There are other articles written by him on the same website, any and all are of value.
    best wishes.

― Dalai Lama XIV

• Cher_Alumni
    Thank you for your advice @leeCal! I've never thought of doing it for a very short time at first and then building it up. Perhaps I was trying to do something too much too soon? Is there anything by Thich Nat Hahn you recommend? I will start trying to do this in my morning routine.

@Cher_Scope I also find going outside is a good way to clear my mind and relax. I don't have the ability to do that too much though. Also I have a tendency to walk too fast, but I think this is because it's difficult to relax properly for me and something I need to work on. 
    @Francis_theythem Have you ever tried walking while listening to a podcast?  That might be something for you to focus on while you are out and about.

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi all some great relaxation tips here. Personally I like to relax in a nice hot bubble bath with a cup of tea and listening to music, so relaxing I usually fall asleep 
  • RAwarrior
    RAwarrior Community member Posts: 430 Pioneering
    @Ross_Scope

Gardening, reading and going to the park to feed the wildlife??
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,585 Disability Gamechanger
    I frequently shout RELAX, RELAX, RELAX repeatedly in my head during a panic attack...  Ironically, it's not at all relaxing but has become a habit I can't get out of!  :D

I've never been good at relaxing though.  I get bored and restless so easily and always have to be doing something.   I've never understood how people can just lay on a beach or sit in the garden for hours at a time.  I've tried to sit on park benches a couple of times a month (exposure for agora/OCD/SA) but even then I force myself to stay there for a specific time, say 10 minutes, and I'm not sure that's how relaxing is meant to work!  :#

• Cher_Alumni
    A good tip to help relax on a night time and get you to sleep is imagining a completely blue room, with blue walls, blue curtains, a blue sofa and the words RELAX written in (a different shade of) blue on the wall.

Yawn.  The thought of it is working :D 

Keep at it @OverlyAnxious.  I find it hard to switch off and might try what you do, just sitting on a park bench with no other distractions for 10 minutes at a time to practice mindfulness.  There is more information about mindfulness for those unfamiliar with it on this Mindfulness NHS webpage.

Brightness