Getting a carer or simply someone who respects you need what you say you need — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Getting a carer or simply someone who respects you need what you say you need

harry01
harry01 Community member Posts: 217 Courageous
Just to explain that I have some weird undiagnosed movement/pain condition. I still can't physically brush my teeth and I would love to get rid of this gingivitis which causes more pain in my body. How can I get them to take this seriously. 

It also matters that the person who helps me is respecting my specific need for this as much as someone losing both their arms. It's pretty tragic for a human being to experience so much pain when the solution is as easy as simply helping them to brush their teeth and I was ashamed to ask. I saw it as my failure. 

Comments

• Wini1960
    Wini1960 Community member Posts: 130 Pioneering
    Hi @harry01 sorry to hear you are suffering this way. It's quite hard to get a carer as the allowance is so small. I have mobility issues because of the sacrilitus and I cant get a carer. As far as the gingivitis goes, try using charcoal powder and gum shields and leave on the charcoal for about 20 minutes, do this every day you will begin to see a change. Hope you find someone soon. All the best.

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @harry01

Gingivitis can be so painful, have you seen a dentist about this?  

You are by no means a failure.  You are living with an impairment and are doing the best you can.  Do you have a carer or someone who regularly helps you?

Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • harry01
    Hi @Cher_Scope,

I don't have a carer. I've just had pain in my mouth nonstop since 2014. It has even caused horrific pains in my body. 

Naturally I have seen dentists. They never helped. I even think it is a kind of negligence because they should be asking why you have it. AndTAnd presumably theyathey could putiput pressure on your overall caretcare plan. 

I was physically able to clean my teeth before 2014 and after injuring my arm I wasn't. This has been ongoing since then. In 2017 I had reached feeling suicidal that I was living like that. 

It was horrible because you just know you're not being listened to. 
  • harry01
    Hi @Wini1960 thanks for the tip.  

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @harry01

That sounds like horrendous pain.  Have you changed dentists and/or asked for a referral to the hospital dental team?  Make sure to keep asking for help, although I appreciate it gets tiring when you don't feel heard.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.