Universal Credit
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Universal Credit and Postgraduate degree

james19o6james19o6 Member Posts: 44 Connected
Hello guys,
My son is due to start his Master or Postgraduate in September and he has been approved to receive postgraduate loan from sfc. As you know Postgraduate loan is not same us undergraduate as they dont pay maintance loan. So my son will receice £11,222 from sfc and he has to pay 6500 for his tuition fee and for the rest £4722 he has to pay for his living and travelling costs etc. But he is also receiving Universal credit for the last 2 months. So i was going to ask will it affect his Universal Credit entilement? If yes, does he have to report it or will the University tell the dwp or UC that my son is studying?

Many thanks for you advices


  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger

    If this is full time then students can only cliam UC under very certain circumstances. Being assessed and having limited capability for work is one of them, along with claiming a disability benefit such as PIP/DLA.

    All changes of circumstances need to be reported, his Uni will not report the changes for him.
    This link gives you all the criteria for students and UC.

    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
Sign in or join us to comment.