Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Wheelchair Hoist Help
Good Afternnon everyone I wonder if I could ask for some help please. My wife had a Renault Masters van with electric steps and a rear Ricoh Lift. She uses a Kymco K-Activ powerchair and this will fold to about a 1m cube and weighs 97KG. The van was completely destroyed by fire in a senseless arson attack a few weeks ago and we are trying to replace it. We have quite specific requirements -
at least 5 usable seats preferrably 7
automatic (she only has an auto licence)
She does not want another big van that is difficult to park and she couldn't park in a normal bay as she couldn't open the door fully.
She can walk a little so I thinking a large car with a hoist but what car? I can't find out the requirement of the boot apperture height and length. I have been looking for a couple of weeks. The one car that seems to work best is the Ford Grande Tourneo Connect but they are like hen's teeth and very expensive. Can anyone please offer alternative suggestions? I have tried Citroen Berlingo, Peugeot Expert, Fiat Doblo and VW Caddy as the closest but again affordable >£10K is a problem.
My wife is eligible for the Motorbility Scheme but even that does not seem to meet the requirements. Please advise.
- 53K All Categories
- 10.4K Start here and say hello!
- 4.8K Coffee lounge
- 4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.5K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 149 Community updates
- 12K Talk about your situation
- 1.8K Children, parents, and families
- 760 Work and employment
- 578 Education
- 1.1K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 277 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 264 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 21.2K Talk about money
- 2.1K Benefits and financial support
- 4.4K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.3K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.4K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4K Talk about your impairment
- 1.3K Cerebral palsy
- 676 Chronic pain and pain management
- 700 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 751 Autism and neurodiversity
- 928 Mental health and wellbeing
- 298 Sensory impairments
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.