Let's talk tech, what gadgets and gizmos do you like the most? - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Let's talk tech, what gadgets and gizmos do you like the most?

13»

Comments

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Aw, I'd be gutted to just find that without knowing how it happened lol!

I've never traded in any electricals...as you suggest, they last so long with me that they're not worth anything when they finally do break!  :D 

I did sell my old Xbox 360 when it RROD'd...was only 3 years old, looked perfect cosmetically but had an internal issue...think I only got £30 for it for spares.  Couldn't trade it in against the Xbox One as they only took working items.

I've used my laptop every day since buying it in mid-2013 but you'd never know.  I've even used it outside several times for vehicle diagnostics but am always careful not to let it get scratched in any way!  

Bought my TV back in 2011 and it still looks near-perfect...  I say near because it's a shiny gloss plastic casing and there are lots of tiny hairline scratches in it from dusting believe it or not!  The remote also still works fine, no cracks or missing buttons, and importantly, the battery cover is still present!  I always wonder how everyone else's remotes seem to be missing the battery cover!  :D

Same with my Smartphone...it never goes near any keys or coins, and I don't use it in bed (though that's more for contamination reasons lol).  It's either in my hand, on the clean table or in it's own softly lined, front jeans pocket with nothing else!  I've never broken a screen so far.  I had to give up my last smartphone after 4 years purely because the power socket broke so I couldn't charge it, screen and case still look perfect.  In fact, my original smart phone from 2012 still has the original screen in perfect condition, still works fine too, only had to upgrade that one as it didn't have enough storage space for modern apps.

I like to buy things brand new and then keep them perfect...the only thing I've never been able to do it with so far is cars, cars are all already ruined by previous owners time I get them.  And then every stone chip or door ding I pick up depresses me more and more.  I know it's just a fact of driving no matter how careful I am, but it still irks me lol!

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    @OverlyAnxious I know what you mean r.e. buying new and keeping things nice. I am into watches and a saying I remember from a watch forum is quite apt here: the first scratch is always the deepest!!!

I am with you on the phone thing, I never put my keys and phone in the same pocket for the same reason as you. I guess while I don’t mind scratches I don’t see the point in getting unnecessary ones.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm also very careful with my technology. Nothing of mine has ever broken because of something I've done. I have smartphones that are nearly a decade old but still work perfectly. 

I don't tend to sell or trade things in once I'm done with them, either due to nostalgia or the fact that the device is so old that it's worth next to nothing.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    @66Mustang, that looks like a very sad iPad!! Is it still in full working order?

@Ross_Scope, I too am very careful with tech. Although, I do like to recycle old pieces, but only when it's completely past it's best.  :D
    Scope

• 66Mustang
    @Chloe_Scope The charging port only works if the charger is wedged up against something, but apart from that, and the screen obviously, yes it still works perfectly fine! It’s not even at all slow, everything loads up very quickly! It will almost be a shame to replace it but to fix the screen and charging port will be about £200 so I can get a whole new iPad for not too much more.
  • 66Mustang
    Oh and I will be buying the optional accidental damage insurance when I get the next one!!! :D
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    It is strange that fixing some of these devices can cost as much as buying a new one @66Mustang :D

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • 66Mustang
    edited September 2020
    Yes ver strange but I guess it’s the same with a lot of things not just technology - appliances like toasters and microwaves to ones like washing machines and ovens and even cars can get to a point where they are cheaper to replace than fix! A bit of a shame really!
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    That's true @66Mustang! I suppose when it gets older it is harder to find the parts. It's a shame though, just promoting waste.
    Scope

• wendy41
    wendy41 Community member Posts: 227 Pioneering
    I love tech; when it works; when it fails it can be unbearably frustrating! However I love spreadsheets! I love learning new stuff in spreadsheets. On a desktop pc I use the magnifyer shortcut Ctrl and + to enlarge the page or Ctrl and - to decrease it. My Alexa I love to use as a speaker for music on low and especially on low of a night if watching tv as it sits on the couch close to me and means that I'm not disturbing the neighbours after midnight with tv blasting. I was once a technophobe but now I'm confident in using a computer. Still have my old dial up modem 'somewhere' and feeling confused as to what the squeals and screaches were. The first time on the internet I stayed up for 72hrs absolutely engrossed in searching and reading and exploring the internet. Amazing how we take it for granted today.  I Learnt how to do HTML and how to change a background colour in a text box! Like I was hungry for what came next. I remember back in secondary school how computers had just come into use. First time learning how to use keyboard keys to move around a computer screen as computer mouses were not invented then. My favourite piece of tech of all time is my mp3 player. I remember when they first came out and some may know this programme others maybe not; ''tomorrows world'' is where I saw the first Mp3 player and how you had a jukebox in your pocket that could store your entire music library to take with you 'anywhere'.  What I admire the most about tech is how it can improve people's lives by enabling them to function. What I dislike the most is how 'unavailable' essential tech is due to 'cost'. For example, mobility tech and visual tech. It annoys me that that tech is priced out the market. 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    What a great comment @wendy41 I can relate to having an old dial up modem hiding somewhere in the house  :D 

I do agree it's frustrating how expensive a lot of tech is these days, especially the sort that would really help enable more independence and access for disabled people.
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.