Property Search Tips? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Property Search Tips?

2»

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,368 Disability Gamechanger
    If a landlord is having issues with receiving the rent money from a tenant claiming benefits, the LL can request the benefit be paid straight to them and this includes housing benefit and the housing element of UC.

I've never ever been behind with my rent in over 15 years of privately renting but my current LL and my previous one both requested my HB be paid straight to them, so it can be done even if you're not in any arrears.

UC is paid monthly, not 4 weekly, which is paid in arrears and this is what puts most landlords off. Although housing benefit was/is also paid in arrears.

@OverlyAnxious how about paying 6 months upfront, rather than 12? You would obviously still be able to claim for help with the rent, which would be paid as normal. Although i can totally understand why you're reluctant to do this. I don't know if it would even help you find a suitable property.

It's definitely not easy trying to find a LL that accepts us, makes me so mad!
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,587 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2020
    Thanks for the clarification, Poppy.  Yeah, 6 months would be a more acceptable deposit so I could then buy furniture etc and again is something I'm considering.  I think that would still require a guarantor as well though, to ensure their rent security for at least 12 months tenancy.

I'm well aware that part of my difficulty this time is having a very tight area radius and specific criteria.  I can find plenty of flats (although whether they'd be more inclined to accept benefits I don't know) but really need somewhere with it's own non-communal entrance and some private outdoor space which is generally going to mean a house. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.