Finances and extra costs
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

State Pension and Winter Fuel Payments.

roberttaylor570roberttaylor570 Member Posts: 568 Pioneering
What are the rules concerning claiming or being given Winter Fuel Allowance.  I live with family and do not have a fuel bill.  I am not a house owner or tenant so will I be entitled to Winter Fuel Allowance when I receive my State Pension in December?  Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Many thanks.

Replies

• chiariedschiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 9,087 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @roberttaylor570 - there's some info here from the government's website; you will not qualify this year as the qualifying week is this month......so prior to you receiving your State pension. Please see: https://www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment/what-youll-get

• poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

For next year because you live with family you will only qualify if all those that you live with claim a qualifying benefit. If they don't then you won't qualify.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • roberttaylor570roberttaylor570 Member Posts: 568 Pioneering
    Thank you @chiarieds and @poppy123456 for the info.   At the moment they are in receipt of Universal Credit.  This may change with the lifting of restrictions if my Son gets back into work.
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Based on that information you won't qualify for the winter fuel payment.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • chiariedschiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 9,087 Disability Gamechanger
    Just to say if next year you're eligible for the Winter Fuel payment you should get this automatically; you don't need to claim. If someone you live with also qualifies you might get half the normal amount. Last year I had a hiccup with this as it was said I lived with someone else. Not thinking my cat qualified, I got in touch, & the problem was rectified, tho I did have to wait a couple of months before I got the 2nd £100.
    My understanding is that it's not dependent on others in your family having a qualifying benefit, but if any others may already qualify to receive this.
  • roberttaylor570roberttaylor570 Member Posts: 568 Pioneering
    edited September 2020
    @chiarieds Thank you.  That was my reading of the rules but as I do not officially appear on the tenancy as I live with who I call my Son, not blood relative, my partner's son, but as we were together so long I helped bring the boys up and they call me Dad and the children see me as Grandad. I do not pay the fuel bills but would like to contribute if I could.  My "son" is my carer.

Sign in or join us to comment.