State Pension and Winter Fuel Payments. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

State Pension and Winter Fuel Payments.

roberttaylor570
roberttaylor570 Community member Posts: 575 Pioneering
What are the rules concerning claiming or being given Winter Fuel Allowance.  I live with family and do not have a fuel bill.  I am not a house owner or tenant so will I be entitled to Winter Fuel Allowance when I receive my State Pension in December?  Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Many thanks.

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @roberttaylor570 - there's some info here from the government's website; you will not qualify this year as the qualifying week is this month......so prior to you receiving your State pension. Please see: https://www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment/what-youll-get

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,329 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

For next year because you live with family you will only qualify if all those that you live with claim a qualifying benefit. If they don't then you won't qualify.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • roberttaylor570
    Thank you @chiarieds and @poppy123456 for the info.   At the moment they are in receipt of Universal Credit.  This may change with the lifting of restrictions if my Son gets back into work.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,329 Disability Gamechanger
    Based on that information you won't qualify for the winter fuel payment.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Just to say if next year you're eligible for the Winter Fuel payment you should get this automatically; you don't need to claim. If someone you live with also qualifies you might get half the normal amount. Last year I had a hiccup with this as it was said I lived with someone else. Not thinking my cat qualified, I got in touch, & the problem was rectified, tho I did have to wait a couple of months before I got the 2nd £100.
    My understanding is that it's not dependent on others in your family having a qualifying benefit, but if any others may already qualify to receive this.
  • roberttaylor570
    edited September 2020
    @chiarieds Thank you.  That was my reading of the rules but as I do not officially appear on the tenancy as I live with who I call my Son, not blood relative, my partner's son, but as we were together so long I helped bring the boys up and they call me Dad and the children see me as Grandad. I do not pay the fuel bills but would like to contribute if I could.  My "son" is my carer.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.