Love at first voice note - what are your thoughts about online dating without text? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Love at first voice note - what are your thoughts about online dating without text?

Options
Cher_Alumni
Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
edited September 2020 in Coffee lounge

In the news today is a story about a new dating app that only lets people talk through voice notes.

The Metro newspaper tell us the app called String:

allows people to say goodbye to texting and add another layer to their messaging. Not only can you chat with voice note, but you can also add personalised messages to your photos – so a picture is now potentially worth more than 1,000 words."

The app makers think this is a good idea because people's personalities will be able to shine through more than in text messages and conversations will flow easier, with less room for misunderstandings.  

Photo of lady smiling whilst using her mobile phone

For me personally, the idea of dating via speech from the get-go would be a little unsettling.  I can be shy at times so would have to work myself up and be brave to leave that first message!

Over to you:

• What is your opinion on String?  
  • Would you use String?
  • In what ways, if any, do you think it is inaccessible to disabled people?
Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Cher_Scope I cant really comment on the particular app but I have spent a lot of time on other online dating apps and this is how I met my boyfriend.

The idea of talking straight away would be daunting as I think you need the initial introductions to know if you have similar interests and looking for the same thing

But in a positive way it could be good for getting rid of all the fake profiles and scammers who pray on the vulnerable and believe me there are lots about and they are very good at what they do
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I wonder what Joe pasquale would think of it ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think the concept is a really good idea! Sometimes emotion can be lost through text.
    Scope

• WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Options
    Interesting! It can be quite daunting to speak to someone who you have never met but I can see how it may work for some people. I am not really for dating apps but can see how it allows people the opportunity to meet people, that said I'm really into dating full stop. Thank you @Cher_Scope for sharing this. 
  • WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Options
    My apologies that is suppose to say I am not really into dating full stop, sorry
  • giddeon
    giddeon Community member Posts: 15 Listener
    Options
    leeCal said:
    I wonder what Joe pasquale would think of it ?
    Little bit random but ur comment made me think of his son Joe Tracini who has recently spoken out/made videos about his mental health problems using his platform to promote awareness.  As for the voice dating - not for me! 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.