The power of teaching assistants! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

The power of teaching assistants!

Chloe_Scope
Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
edited October 2020 in Education
Today, Wednesday 16th September, is National Teaching Assistants' Day.

Recognising the Contribution of TAs

National Teaching Assistants' Day was created by Teaching Personnel to recognise the valuable contribution Teaching Assistants make to the education and support of school children across the UK. 

On National Teaching Assistants' Day we want schools across the UK to join in acknowledging the Teaching Assistant Lockdown heroes of 2020.

Lightbox sign that says you got this

Yet that got me thinking, teaching assistants (TA's) have made a big impact on my ability to access education over the years. I know it is due to their support that I could attempt to compete with my peers. It was their patience that allowed me to complete tasks at my own pace.

I imagine TA's are often overlooked if you don't require their input to succeed, but I believe they deserve recognition.

Did you or your child have a teaching assistant at school? How did this impact your education? Is there one TA that stands out from the rest? Let us know in the comments below!
Scope

Comments

• WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Hi @Chloe_Scope
                                   Thank you so much for sharing this with the community, I for one did not know that such a day existed but I am in complete agreement, Teaching Assistants do deserve recognition. I know that I would not have achieved as well academically had it not been for the TA's who supported me throughout my education. I am very fortunate to still be in touch with some of the TA's who supported me and they have become part of my adult life. I can think of one TA who just inspired me, they were great company and made me smile when  things were tough, I like to say they just got me. They were a couple of TA's I didn't get on so well with but when I look back now, they enable me to develop skills of learning to work with people, even if the personalities don't gel to well. I would personally like to thank all my TA's and all the other TA's out there, without whom many children would not be able to access the education they are entitled too.  Thank you
  • RacheleLeahSilvera
    RacheleLeahSilvera Scope Member Posts: 77 Courageous
    edited November 2020
    @Chloe_Scope
    Thankyou for sharing. I myself know how much of a difference TA's can have as I have had then from my first day in nursery to the ongoing help that I am still receiving through college. It Is totally life changing.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Great topic My son always had teaching assistants in Primary school and tbh I think they gave him more support than the teachers .  They did one on one sessions in areas he was not up to speed, he gets distracted by the others  

My sister in law is a special needs teaching assistant and spends one on one time with those children in her school who need her. She is always working planning and preparing . I feel this role is very under valued by education leaders .

She also had to o lots of qualifications to get this far 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.