Benefits and Savings — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Benefits and Savings

LittleKitten
LittleKitten Community member Posts: 46 Connected
I'm hopefully going to be claiming PIP, "New Style" ESA and Universal Credit, but I'm unlikely to spend all of it at the same rate i recieve it, so I'm wondering what my best option(s) would be to make the most use of this money so that I can access it in the future if I need it to pay bills or sonething.

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @LittleKitten! It looks like you've accidentally posted the same thing twice, so I'm going to delete your other post to avoid confusion.

Do you currently have a bank account? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

Savings/capital do not affect PIP or New style ESA. Savings/capital of more than £6,000 affects your UC and will reduce it by £4.35 per month for every £250 (or part there of) over that amount. Savings/capital of £16,000 and over means you're not entitled to any means tested benefits.

If you're claiming council tax reduction then you'll need to check with them what there savings threshold is because all local councils have their own criteria.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • LittleKitten
    So, yes I do have a bank account, but I was more wondering if There's a way to stop my savings from affecting the Universal credit when they're £6,000 - £16,000 +
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Oh haha, I totally misunderstood that @LittleKitten :D Hopefully Poppy's advice above was helpful? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • LittleKitten
    Well, I'm in the procress of claiming PIP and ESA, but I'm not too sure about the ESA, in terms of whether I'll get it or not.
  • poppy123456
    There's no financial gain to claiming both New style ESA and UC at the same time because the New style ESA is deducted £1 for £1 from any UC entitlement. The only difference between them id that ESA pays class ! NI credits and UC pays class 2 and of course 1 means tested and the other isn't.

To claim the NSESA you will have needed to have worked and paid the correct amount of NI contributions in tax years April 2017 to April 2019.

If your savings go above £6,000 there's no way of stopping it affecting your UC entitlement and you need to reporrt the changes, which will see a reduction in your UC entitlement depending on how much you have.

Are you sending in fit notes for your UC claim?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    @LittleKitten there is no way of hiding your savings from the DWP if you tried that would be fraud and have consequences, you can of course spend you benefits income to keep it below £6000 most people would regard having that to fall back on as a luxury.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• LittleKitten
    Well, at the moment, I'm in college full time, but am sending fit notes for the ESA claim, and will reclaim UC when I get the WCA back, since, as far as I know, I need to be getting PIP and have LCWA  or LCWRA to get UC while in college full time.
  • poppy123456
    Well, at the moment, I'm in college full time, but am sending fit notes for the ESA claim, and will reclaim UC when I get the WCA back, since, as far as I know, I need to be getting PIP and have LCWA  or LCWRA to get UC while in college full time.

That's correct. If you haven't paid the correct amount of NI contributions then your ESA claim will be credits only and you won't receive any payments. Also if you're receiving a student loan or there's one available to you and you choose not to take it then this can affect any UC you maybe entitled to in the future.

If you don't already have a PIP award then you won't be able to claim ESA for NI credits only either because you're a student.

Have you started a claim for PIP?
  • LittleKitten
    I've started the claim for PIP, I'm just filling out the form at the moment. And if it's a credit only clain, but one which gives me WCA assessment, would that then entitle me to UC? And would a credits only claim become a full claim after a period of time at all?
  • poppy123456
    If you haven't paid the correct amnount of NI contributions for the New style ESA claim then it can never become a payments claim, it will always be justa credits only claim. It will give you the work capability assessment but even if you're given LCW or LCWRA then you still can't claim UC unless you have a PIP award.

You need to conitnue with your PIP claim first to be honest but that can take a while to get a decision. Some claims can take several months.

What about students loans? Are you claiming any? if not is there any available to you?
  • LittleKitten
    I'm not claiming any student loans, and there's none available to me so far as I know.
  • poppy123456
    Lots of students claim a student loan so you'll need to check there's none available to you. It will depend on what your course is though. This link will help with that. https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies

• poppy123456
    Here's link regarding students and UC. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/universal-credit-and-students

• LittleKitten
    It's a level 3 course though, and I have no other qualifications Level 3 or higher already.
  • poppy123456
    I can only assume that it's non advanced education you're in, rather than higher education?

If you're living with parents may i ask if they are claiming child benefit for you? If they are then starting a claim for a benefit in your own right like New style ESA will stop any benefits they maybe claiming for you.

Sorry but diffficult to advise without knowing all of your details.
  • LittleKitten
    I'm pretty certian they are not getting child benefit for me, since I ewould assume UC affects it in the same way, and I was claiming that until I started the course. Which I think also gives me NI credits which I think count towards being able to get ESA, from what I can understand.
  • LittleKitten
    And yes, a Level 3 course is equivilant to A Levels in the UK. Which is not a higher education level course.
  • poppy123456
    edited September 2020
    UC pays class 3 NI credits only, for your state pension which unfortunately, do not count towards a claim for New style ESA. The NI contributions need to be from working in the previous 2 tax years.
  • poppy123456

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.