Benefits and Savings - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Benefits and Savings

Options
2»

Comments

• LittleKitten
    LittleKitten Community member Posts: 47 Connected
    Options
    If I was to try claiming the old income related ESA, would that give me Class 1 NI credits and would that then affect "new style" ESA?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You can't claim the old income related ESA because it no longer exists for you because UC has replaced it.

Claiming benefits alone do not give entitlement to New style ESA because you need to have worked and paid NI contributions. You can only claim New style ESA as a credits only claim.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • LittleKitten
    Options
    But I can make a new claim for ESA when the first ends and the credits gotten from the credits only ESA claim should count towards the NI contributions for having the 2/3 years needed, right?
  • poppy123456
    edited September 2020
    Options
    No, you can't because the NI credits alone from the New style ESA is not enough to claim the NS/ESA and receive payments. You need to have also worked and paid the correct amount of NI contributions. Fully explained here. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/employment-and-support-allowance-contribution-based

Once you're claim for NS/ESA is in credits only and you're assessed, if you're placed into one of the groups and you have successfully claimed PIP then you can claim UC and this is the only way around it.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • LittleKitten
    Options
    This is what it says for last year's NI contributions, I don't have any for the two years before that, though.

"You have contributions from

Paid employment: £3.31

National Insurance credits: 53 weeks

These may have been added to your record if you were ill/disabled, unemployed, caring for someone full-time or on jury service."

• poppy123456
    Options
    You were claiming Universal Credit and this pays class 3 NI credits. You don't have the correct NI contributions to be able to claim anything else but a credits only NS/ESA claim. You will not receive any payments.
  • LittleKitten
    Options
    But I only started claiming UC about 6 or so months ago, and when I was working for a few months, it didn't pay much as it was minimum wage for under 18s at the time (£4.35ph) full time, which comes to a maximum of £174 per week, which meant I didn't have direct NI contributions from that, if I recall correctly.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You haven't paid enough to receive the payments from the NS/ESA claim. Please read the link i posted above and it explains the NI contributions that's needed.

I think i've exhausted all the advice i can give you here because i'm just repeating myself but i wish you good luck with the work capability assesment and your PIP claim. :)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.