My doctor was a bit horrid :( — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

My doctor was a bit horrid :(

izziiha Member Posts: 11 Connected
I am a bit upset. So I got awarded PIP which was great and I am so appreciative. I was seeing if I was eligible for a council tax deduction and asked my psychiatrist to write me a letter confirming my diagnosis for this purpose.

My psychiatrist's secretary called me and basically said "your doctor is surprised you got pip because lots of her patients have struggled to get it and they are in worse situations than you" (nearly verbatim) and that's made me feel so bad? Like they completely invalidated my issues. I was assessed just the same as everyone else was. Idk just need some support


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,573 Disability Gamechanger

    I'm sorry to hear this. GP's really have no knowledge at all about the criteria for PIP. Likewise they very rarely know exactly how a persons conditions affect them because they hardly spend any time at all with their patients to have any idea. PIp isn't awarded based on any diagnosis and you really can't compare one against the other because we are all affected differently.

    Words can be hurtful indeed but please try not to worry too much. The good thing is that you were awarded PIP and that's really all that matters.

    Try and do something nice this afternoon to try and take your mind off it. :)
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 15,260 Disability Gamechanger

    Hi I am sorry to hear this, someone in that position should not be passing that sort of comment , your specialist secretary need to be made aware of how her thoughts should be kept to herself

    Like you say you have been assessed the same as anyone else and you have nothing to be concerned over just put it down to her own ignorance
  • Cher_Inactive
    Cher_Inactive Posts: 4,412

    Scope community team

    @izziiha Ouch, that was definitely an unnecessary comment.  You aren't responsible for the success of anyone else's claim and can only speak about your own experience, which was clearly valid enough for you to be awarded PIP. 

    Please try not to let it upset you, although I appreciate why it has.  You have not done anything wrong at all.

    Have a big virtual squeeze and look after yourself  <3
    Online Community Co-ordinator

    Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,207 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @izziiha sorry to hear that, as for council tax without more detail it would be difficult to advise so you could phone your council and ask in most cases CT reduction isn't based on your illness but what benefits you are getting.
    Be extra nice to new members.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 15,260 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi just to add I just made aa claim on my council website and I didnt have to probide any proof as they could link into DWP and see I was getting PIP

    May be worth checking with your council to see what they need as thjey all have different criteria
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,573 Disability Gamechanger
    Also to add, if you're talkiing about council tax discount for severely mentally impaired then you'll need to speak to your GP because you'll need them to sign a certificate.

  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Posts: 8,847 Connected
    Actually the certificate can be signed by whoever is the most appropriate medical person. That can include your psych. 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.