Medically Dismissed from work on Capability. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Medically Dismissed from work on Capability.

Hello. I’m Paul having worked from 15 yrs old last week aged 65 I was Medically dismissed on capabilities from work. Had colitis for 25yrs which led to Bowel cancer and a full Colon removal 10yrs ago. Wearing a Stoma bag I continued to work until January of this year, after 9 months sick with Stoma problems I have been released which I accept because no other position was suitable for me.
 I will receive a small pay off but still have 11 months to qualify for state pension at 66 . Any advice to point me where to contact for any benefits I can possibly apply for would be very grateful. Paul


  • Cher_Inactive
    Cher_Inactive Posts: 4,400 Scope online community team
    edited October 2020
    Hi @crimesmanc and welcome to our online community.

    it sounds like you have had a rough time with your colitis and I'm sorry to hear you have lost your job.  

    Scope have a benefits calculator that you can use to find out which benefits you are entitled to.  Also, our free helpline staff would be happy to discuss your personal situation in more depth and give you advice.  Their number is 0808 800 3333 and they are open Monday to Friday 8am to 7pm. Saturday to Sunday 10am to 6pm.

    All the best for the future and please let us know how you get on.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

    Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,239 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

    New style ESA is possible based on your NI contributions in tax years April 2017 to March 2019. It pays £74.35 per week for 1 year. If you're placed into the Support Group then your money increases to £113.55 per week from the 14th week of your claim, although it may take longer than that for a decision to be made on the work capability assessment.

    You will need your SSP1 form and a fit/sick note from your GP to be able to claim this.

    Universal Credit maybe an option but it will depend on your circumstances because it's a means tested benefit. If you live with a partner you'll need to claim as a couple. Savings/capital of more than £16,000 will exclude you from claiming.

    You can claim them both but your NsESA will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement. Use a benefits calculator for this to see if you maybe entitled to anything. Although i would advise you to wait to claim the UC until after you've received your final pay from work, otherwise it will affect the amount of UC you maybe entitled to.

    Council tax reduction can be claimed from your local council.

    I'd also advise you to have a look at PIP, It's not means tested so household income/savings doesn't affect the amount you cahn claim. Although it's not awarded based on any diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. A successfui claim can potentially take several months. If you decide to claim it then you need to do so before you reach state pension age because after this you won't be able to claim it. If you have an award in placed though when you reach state pension age then it will continue for as long as you remain entitled to it.

    It's a lot to take in but i hope this helps.

  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 16,408 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome sorry about your situation but it us now time to take it easy 

    I hope all the advice is useful and come back if you have any questions 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,545 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @crimesmanc, how are you doing today? :)


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.