Cars and driving — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Cars and driving

Options
66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,686 Disability Gamechanger
I’m just lazily regurgitating another topic I made in the past as I’m keen to see what the current regulars have to share! :)

This thread is about cars and driving. Please share any interesting car or driving related stories you have... :smiley:

Or maybe share something like what your dream car is! (Mine is a Ford Mustang but I am aware they are very impractical in the UK so here I think I would choose a Lotus Elise.)

Driving is probably my biggest passion and I love doing it. I go out for a drive every day if I can, with a family member. Whenever someone needs to go somewhere I will offer to drive them (as long as it’s not too far and involving dual carriageways/motorways!). I have also driven modern sports cars and classic cars on race tracks in the past. However I am no “driving god”, I am actually quite a nervous driver and am especially not good at reversing!! Once Covid is over I am actually thinking about paying for a couple of driving lessons to focus on parking, I’m that bad :D.

I do appreciate not everyone is lucky enough to be able to drive and by making this thread I don’t intend to cause any offence to anyone who is not able to do so.

I’m looking forward to hearing your thoughts. :)

Comments

• 66Mustang
    Options
    Some pictures of a classic Mustang I drove and one with me driving it. Sorry if they are really big, I’m not used to uploading pictures.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I used to love driving and today have surrendered my licence tho I gaunt driven for 3 years 

I had a crash on my driving test someone went into back of me and the examiner had to walk back to test centre also had crash with unmarked police car a detective rushing out of police station  straight into me 

My favourite car to drive was my convertible Peugeot but our weather wasnt the best to take advantage 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Please can I have a Porsche? I've always fancied one!
    I've driven a smallish brown Fiat (? Fiorino) van; sorry I'm not very good with model names from a long time ago, & this was from about 1988, which I liked, & a much bigger VW van circa 1990, which I didn't like much, but felt quite accomplished when I managed to drive the 'Orange Bomber,' as we called it, well.
    Sorry, I will stop talking about vans! As far as cars go, the best one we ever had was a few weeks old limited edition red Toyota Corolla sports car, which we bought in 1995. Close to home I got to drive it on the first day; my family still retells the time I went round a nasty bend on 2 wheels (not really, but it felt like it to them). I loved driving it, as it was so responsive.
    Then we got a Subaru Impreza, which I found uncomfortable as a passenger, & had no wish to drive.
    15 years after I'd stopped driving, my then separated from husband came down to show off his new Yaris, which he had difficulty starting; he was rather surprised I started it without any problem. As I hadn't driven for so long, he suggested I just drove on some country roads. Due to him mis-directing me, we ended up on the A66, rather a busy road & a notorious 'black spot!'
    I also loved driving. I haven't had any crash incidents, but perhaps I'm the only person to have been 'run over' on the Channel Island of Sark, where cars are not allowed. A tractor ran over my foot; thankfully no bones were broken!
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    @janer1967 thanks for the post. Someone crashing into you on your driving test is unfortunate!! I agree about the convertibles. Apparently in the UK we have the most convertibles per head in Europe but on average we only use them 6 days a year with the top down!!
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    @chiarieds great stories thanks for sharing them!

Vans are more than welcome here, motorbikes as well, anything that you can drive!! I would be quite scared of driving a van or even just a large car as I’ve only ever driven small cars on the public roads. I have a lot of respect for lorry drivers who are able to negotiate tight roads and farm tracks!!

Very fortunate that you have such a good history of cars and no crashes to report! :) That’s a good claim to fame about being run over as well, ha ha, I hope it didn’t hurt too much.
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    Options
    WOW! @66Mustang. That mustang is amazing. I am a complete petrol head. I would really love a Chevrolet Camara but it would have to be a classic one as I don't like the new ones. I would also love a Porsche 911 Targa. (in my dreams)!
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    Nice choice, I like those as well but agree with you on the classics, I think they have a bit more character. :)

I was never that interested in Porsche - mainly because they are expensive and I know I wouldn’t be able to afford one  :D. However I got the chance to drive a (older) Porsche on the dame day as the Mustang, it’s the white one that you can just see in the background of the third Mustang picture, and I am totally converted!! Absolutely fantastic cars. :) It put a lot of modern cars to shame. I can only imagine what a modern Porsche is like to drive. Just a shame they are so expensive haha!!!
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @66Mustang. Sorry only just seen your message. I Know that a Porsche  is very expensive but we can all dream!
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    Sorry @deb74, I should have tagged you in my post! I agree though!:smiley:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.