I want to work but have no skills - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I want to work but have no skills

Options
13»

Comments

• dkb123
    dkb123 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 166 Pioneering
    Options
    yes you are right, it's a difficult illness to overcome 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hey @66Mustang, how are you this morning?

Just wanted to share this blog post with you: Here's why we should employ disabled people.
    Scope

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,600 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Hi @Chloe_Scope I am not too bad thanks!

I have read your article and think it’s a really good one. I agree with a lot of what you say. Even though the article is written from the point of view of somebody who encounters physical difficulties I can still relate to it as a person with psychological issues. 

I definitely think my issues have made me a stronger person. One notable thing which maybe you can relate to is that little problems in life don’t affect me as they would most people, as I have more important things to worry about. Little things that can really affect a lot of people, like computer problems, or spilling something on my shirt, don’t bother me and I just get on with dealing with it. Maybe this makes us more resilient employees - if I got a snotty email at work or my boss shouted at me, I wouldn’t care as much as some people do!

Your points about organisation and problem solving are really valid in my opinion as well. In all aspects of life we often have to work around a central problem (our disability) and these are useful skills to have in a workplace. I like your little joke about literally taking the long route which I can also relate to with my driving due to not being able to use certain roads.

I honestly still don’t know if I’m technically disabled or not, but my conditions are certainly not enabling. Apparently if you have had a persistent mental health issue for 12 months then it can be classed as a disability so from an employment point of view I probably would be seen as disabled. I do worry about getting a job as there are things I can’t do, like drive on certain roads and I would even struggle in meetings. But I guess we all need to focus on what we can do and not what we can’t.

Thanks for sharing the article. :)
  • dkb123
    dkb123 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 166 Pioneering
    Options
    Good to see you are focusing on the positive and what you can do 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.