If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

change of circumstances

oldbangeroldbanger Member Posts: 5 Connected
Good morning, 
In June my father sadly passed away and I moved my mother into my home  to live with me as she has dementia.
I receive the enhanced rate of PIP daily living and my mother receives AA higher rate.
Yesterday I received a letter from the council informing me that they have suspended my housing benefit due to the fact that my mother has moved in with me and they wanted me to send in my mothers bank statements.
As far as I know she would be classed as a non dependant, am I wrong? 
Any help would be greatly appreciated.


  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @oldbanger, that must have been a shock to receive that! 

    Your mother is a non-dependant and you are still entitled to housing benefit. Shelter have a page about housing benefit non-dependant deductions which you might find helpful.

    I would advise ringing them and explaining the situation. They still might require some kind of proof but you will still be able to claim housing benefit.

    I hope this helps and that it is sorted out quickly!
    Community Partner

    Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
  • oldbangeroldbanger Member Posts: 5 Connected
    Thank you Chloe

    I will call them and also check out the site above.
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2020

    Sorry for your loss. As you're in receipt of PIP daily living then there will be no non dependant deductions for your housing benefit. However, if you were claiming the single person discount in your council tax reduction then you will no longer be entitled to this and you need to report the changes to your local council.

    If your mother was also claiming for any help with her rent then she needs to report the changes to her local council.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • oldbangeroldbanger Member Posts: 5 Connected
    Hi Poppy

    Thank you for all the information above, much appreciated

Sign in or join us to comment.