change of circumstances — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

change of circumstances

oldbanger
oldbanger Community member Posts: 10 Connected
Good morning, 
In June my father sadly passed away and I moved my mother into my home  to live with me as she has dementia.
I receive the enhanced rate of PIP daily living and my mother receives AA higher rate.
Yesterday I received a letter from the council informing me that they have suspended my housing benefit due to the fact that my mother has moved in with me and they wanted me to send in my mothers bank statements.
As far as I know she would be classed as a non dependant, am I wrong? 
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @oldbanger, that must have been a shock to receive that! 

Your mother is a non-dependant and you are still entitled to housing benefit. Shelter have a page about housing benefit non-dependant deductions which you might find helpful.

I would advise ringing them and explaining the situation. They still might require some kind of proof but you will still be able to claim housing benefit.

I hope this helps and that it is sorted out quickly!
    Scope

• oldbanger
    Thank you Chloe

I will call them and also check out the site above.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2020
    HI,

Sorry for your loss. As you're in receipt of PIP daily living then there will be no non dependant deductions for your housing benefit. However, if you were claiming the single person discount in your council tax reduction then you will no longer be entitled to this and you need to report the changes to your local council.

If your mother was also claiming for any help with her rent then she needs to report the changes to her local council.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • oldbanger
    Hi Poppy

Thank you for all the information above, much appreciated

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.