PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Advice for person with Vascular Dementia who needs supervision with all daily living activities

bracabraca Posts: 86 Member
Hi, can you give advice for person with Vascular Dementia who needs supervision with all daily living activities ?

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

What sort of advice would you like? There's 10 daily living activities. Does the person currently claim PIP? thinking of claiming PIP? Sorry but you haven't really given any information for anyone to be able to help further.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 4,413 Disability Gamechanger
    If your question isn't about benefits have you spoke to social services and asked for an a assessment to see if they can give any help?
    "Putting a child into care, isn't caring for a child" (T.Rhattigan)
  • bracabraca Posts: 86 Member
    Person not on PIP and was advised by occupational therapy to apply. 
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Then if they decide to apply they should fill out the form with as much relevant information as possible about how their conditions affect them. Then add a couple of recent real world examples of what happened the last time they attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to them.

PIP isn't awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
    Excerpt from Occupational Therapist letter, I observed Mr Mxxxxx engage with kitchen task and he had great difficulty in terms of processing skills, He also failed to turn off gas cooker at end of task, requiring intervention for him to do so.

I would think said person would require supervision for Preparing food, and would need help with most other Daily living activities.
  • chiariedschiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 9,087 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @braca - There's some info in the following link about applying for PIP with mental health issues. Please see: https://www.mentalhealthandmoneyadvice.org/en/welfare-benefits/pip-mental-health-guide/help-with-your-pip-claim/how-to-fill-in-the-pip-form/    Hope this may help. :)

• mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,544 Disability Gamechanger
    Supervision as a concept doesn’t really enter into PIP. It’s more about the need for prompting. On the other hand I’m not even sure of the age here. Are we talking person of working age or of pensionable age?
    @mikehughescq
    Person of working age, Another example when I visited person recently He had casual trousers on wrong way round and pointed this out to him, I guess that would be prompting.
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,544 Disability Gamechanger
    One off incidents don’t really allow for a judgement to be made but I’d look at 

1d or e
    4c 
    6c
    8d
    9d
    10c

as a starting point. 

I’d also look at planning and following on mobility.
    Big thank you @ mikehughescq.
    Not a one off as he has problems with buttons and zips
Sign in or join us to comment.