Mandatory reconsideration — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mandatory reconsideration

Jaz1970
Jaz1970 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi wonder if anyone can help I have had my assessment back not happy with the points so will do an MR. My question is should I write the assessor has lied or just say where I should be awarded points. For eg she has said I can use my phone but my husband answered it on the assessment and it was on loud speaker. I have a driving licence so no points for planning a journey. Even though I suffer from anxiety, depression and PTSD. She said I can manage all the care descriptors as I said can walk slowly with pain but need the help of furniture. I don’t want to give a negative letter for the MR but need to let the DWP it was incorrect. 

Thank you and I hope this is the write place to post as first time 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,335 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

You need to wait for the decision before you can request the MR. The report is just a recommendation, although they usually go with it, it's rare for them to go against it but it can and does happen.

Once it's been made if you're still not happy then request it. You shouldn't mention any "lies" that may have been told in the report because this isn't going to get you a PIP award. What will give you more chance of an award is to state where and why you think you should have scored those points. The add a couple of recent real world examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you. You should write who was with you, where you were and a detailed description of exactly what happened.

I'm a little confused about this part here "She said I can manage all the care descriptors as I said can walk slowly with pain but need the help of furniture" although you said you suffer from anxiety, depression and PTSD. Are you also claiming for a physical disability because you mentioned the pain?

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Jaz1970
    Hi thanks for getting back so quickly I have fibro/ AS and Psoriatic Arthritis too so have physical pain. As I said I can use my furniture to rest on when going to the toilet she has said I can grip/hold on to furniture so can manage therapy/ prepare meals/ nutrition and bathing. Also don’t need motivate / promoting as on first line anti depressant I take citalpram/ amritipram and diazepam . 
  • poppy123456
    May i ask if there's a recommendation at all for enough of points for an award?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Jaz1970
    Is that the black dots? On the activities. At the end does say award 2 years which I don’t understand as all my medication conditions are not ever going to get better. 
  • poppy123456
    edited October 2020
    Yes the black dots, use this PIP self test to see what points, if any have been recommended. Put the dots into the self test and it adds it up for you at the end.

The length of time recommendation doesn't mean you've scored enough points for an award.
  • Jaz1970
    Looks like standard care and mobility. Which if I get will be really grateful. Do you think I should ask for a MR as I have scored no points for socially engaging and planning a journey. She has not taken account my mental health. 8 points care  and 10 points mobility. 
  • poppy123456
    edited October 2020
    It will depend on whether it's possible to score more points for a higher award. There's no point at all requesting the MR or Tribunal if it's not possible to score more points. Planning a journey is part of the mobility and engaging with others is daily living. If it's just this 1 activity for daily living then you would need to score at least 4 points in this for the higher award.

As no one here knows exactly how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors then it's impossible to advise you further on this. You should get further advice from an agency near you. Start this by looking here. https://advicelocal.uk/

• Jaz1970
    Thanks for all your help. Really appreciate. 
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome. Hopefully you won't be waiting too long for the decision but there's no timescales. Do let us know the outcome.
  • Jaz1970
    Hi Poppy just wanted to let you know that I got awarded enhanced rate mobility and standard for care. I got 22 points for mobility so the decision maker  didn’t agree with the accessor. Unsure now whether I should do a MR for the care as DM has said I cannot plan a journey but can socially engage with people due to my anxiety. No points for managing therapy/ nutrition / or toilet needs or socially engaging. 
  • poppy123456
    Planning a journey and engaging with others face to face are 2 completely different activities. Just because a person may not be able to plan the route of a journey doesn't mean they can't engage socially. Whether you're entitled to any more points for a higher award will totally depend on how your conditions affect you and as we don't know that then it's extremely difficult to give further advice.

You should get further advice before requesting the MR, do this by starting here. https://advicelocal.uk/

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.