PIP QUERY — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

PIP QUERY

samfits99
samfits99 Member Posts: 155 Courageous
Someone has message me on watsapp to which I can't really answer it. there claim has been extended and runs out on November 24 next year , and they have further evidence and feel like he's entitled to more points as his condition has got worse, it is worth him sending it off or not? Some have said no as it could mess his claim up , advise him to wait till he gets his award review forms which is a bit of time he's got left , and explain it all then. Personally I wouldn't but that's just me as a individual. what would you all do, 

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Member Posts: 4,227 Disability Gamechanger
    I’d wait until the review form comes and do it right then.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 12,236 Disability Gamechanger
    I would wait just because it has been extended till next year that doesnt mean it wont be reviewed before then as the DWP try to catch up with those on an extension
    Here to help with my experience in hunan resources and employment rights 
  • samfits99
    @leeCal I agree! I also agree @janer1967 but with everything that's going on I don't think that review will be coming anytime soon. that's my personal opinion. 
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Member Posts: 7,452 Disability Gamechanger
    Well it’s worth saying at the outset that there are no delays with reviews at present. Imagined delays are the worst possible reason for inaction. However...

A condition which gets worse is of no relevance unless it leads to extra points and in turn those extra points lead to increased PIP. It’s not a given that a worsening condition gets you extra points so, in order to answer the question, I suggest the person does not seek advice from peers but instead gets professional advice. 

It could, for example, be the case that this person has a clear cut entitlement to more points which they should have had from day one and which might have moved them from zero entitlement on one component to enhanced rate. In that context telling them to wait until late 2021 could literally cost them thousands of pounds. 

Similarly, if some of their existing points are not clear cut and would be vulnerable if a challenge was made to get different points then the person may be no better off or could be hundreds of pounds worse off per month (eventually costing them thousands) instantly.

My guess is that no-one in this forum nor a WhatsApp group is going to want that responsibility. That’s why professional advice services exist. They allow people to make informed decisions. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,270 Disability Gamechanger
    @samfits99 what rates do they get atm? if they are on enhanced for both there is no point in doing anything.
    Offering PIP advice to people with epilepsy.
  • samfits99
    @woodbine enhanced for daily living that's all 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,270 Disability Gamechanger
    samfits99 said:
    @woodbine enhanced for daily living that's all 
    so he can't get better than that on living, remember PIP isn't for the condition/illness but for the care/mobility issues, does he have more mobility issues now than last time?
    Offering PIP advice to people with epilepsy.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.