PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Pip deductions.

Mikew1978Mikew1978 Member Posts: 15 Listener
Can the dwp make deductions from pip? 

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 22,145 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Not that i'm aware of. What are they taking deductions for?
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • woodbinewoodbine Member Posts: 2,134 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm almost sure they don't, are you sure they are taking deductions from PIP and not ESA?
  • Mikew1978Mikew1978 Member Posts: 15 Listener
    Hi, thanks for the replies.This is my first time on benefits and it's been a nightmare from start to finish with both pip and u/c. I'm currently being stopped I'm assuming the 30% maximum deductions on u/c for advance payments and working tax or child tax credits from 2013 when I was still with my ex wife. Iv asked numerous time's how much I owe in tax credits and how they came to whatever the figure is.. (basically I want some proof as I've never in my life had any tax credits paid into any account of mine, granted I may have been named on the claim, but still surely I should pay only half and certainly be given some idea of dates etc) sorry for going off topic. I applied for pip in November 2019.I was awarded standard and standard around July this year. I was advised because of my evidence and condition to do a mandatory Reconsideration. I've finally received a letter today, saying they have upped the daily living part to enhanced so obviously my payment is going up. It also says they will now owe me some money from November 2019 upto my next payment due the 6th of November. This I'm assuming will be the difference from standard rate to enhanced. It states we will send a letter telling me what they owe and when it will be paid. I opened another letter that came in the same post. Saying about the money owed. It states the dwp owe me benefit arrears of £1,332.58 and we have taken this amount away from the money you owe us. We can do this without having to ask, it goes on to say my balance is now £648.19 and we will continue to take this until the money is paid back. It took me over a year to sort out my u/c they said they lost my uc50 when it was with them all the time its been a nightmare from start to finish. How can they justify taking over £1,300 out of a disability benefit at all, but especially when there recovering it through u/c at a rate of over £100 per month, I give up.

• poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 22,145 Disability Gamechanger
    They can take backdated money for any debt that's owed and this includes from a PIP award. What they wouldn't do is continue to take money and reduce your PIP award to pay back this debt. What the letter actually means is that they will continue to take the money owed from your UC payments.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • Mikew1978Mikew1978 Member Posts: 15 Listener
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 4,977 Disability Gamechanger
    It’s interesting to do a search on this issue on this forum. It’s a question which comes up from time to time and, almost without fail, the person never returns because they realise that deductions were not being taken from PIP but were being taken from the means-tested benefit being paid with it.

No deductions can be taken from PIP in any circumstances. 
Sign in or join us to comment.