Pip deductions. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip deductions.

Options
Mikew1978
Mikew1978 Community member Posts: 15 Listener
Can the dwp make deductions from pip? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,222 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

Not that i'm aware of. What are they taking deductions for?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,655 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm almost sure they don't, are you sure they are taking deductions from PIP and not ESA?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Mikew1978
    Options
    Hi, thanks for the replies.This is my first time on benefits and it's been a nightmare from start to finish with both pip and u/c. I'm currently being stopped I'm assuming the 30% maximum deductions on u/c for advance payments and working tax or child tax credits from 2013 when I was still with my ex wife. Iv asked numerous time's how much I owe in tax credits and how they came to whatever the figure is.. (basically I want some proof as I've never in my life had any tax credits paid into any account of mine, granted I may have been named on the claim, but still surely I should pay only half and certainly be given some idea of dates etc) sorry for going off topic. I applied for pip in November 2019.I was awarded standard and standard around July this year. I was advised because of my evidence and condition to do a mandatory Reconsideration. I've finally received a letter today, saying they have upped the daily living part to enhanced so obviously my payment is going up. It also says they will now owe me some money from November 2019 upto my next payment due the 6th of November. This I'm assuming will be the difference from standard rate to enhanced. It states we will send a letter telling me what they owe and when it will be paid. I opened another letter that came in the same post. Saying about the money owed. It states the dwp owe me benefit arrears of £1,332.58 and we have taken this amount away from the money you owe us. We can do this without having to ask, it goes on to say my balance is now £648.19 and we will continue to take this until the money is paid back. It took me over a year to sort out my u/c they said they lost my uc50 when it was with them all the time its been a nightmare from start to finish. How can they justify taking over £1,300 out of a disability benefit at all, but especially when there recovering it through u/c at a rate of over £100 per month, I give up.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,222 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    They can take backdated money for any debt that's owed and this includes from a PIP award. What they wouldn't do is continue to take money and reduce your PIP award to pay back this debt. What the letter actually means is that they will continue to take the money owed from your UC payments.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Mikew1978
    Options

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.