Fashion and disability — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Fashion and disability

Chloe_Scope
Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
As part of World Cerebral Palsy (CP) Day I wanted to share my thoughts around disability and fashion. 

For me, fashion has been a crucial method of expressing myself. I love the 1950's style and would love to wear a beautiful vintage dress every single day. Yet I can't ignore the fact that my disability has impacted this.

Expressing myself

I'm fully aware that my disability is quite visible. I have cerebral palsy which gives me a distinctive walking pattern, I also use a long cane. As a result, you will probably see my disability before you see me. When I was younger this used to really bother me. Yet through my love of vintage I was able to have some control over what people saw. To be known for colourful dresses suited me just fine.

When I was at university I fell in love with the colour mustard. In particularly, I had this mustard coat that I wore everywhere! It quickly became my trade mark. This might seem insignificant, yet I was so used to 'the disabled one'. So this was a very refreshing change. 

Coat hangers with clothes on

Accessible fashion

Another aspect of disability and fashion is the accessibility of it. Thankfully this is starting to become more mainstream and it is getting easier to find suitable clothing.

Here are some accessible fashion brands:
  • M&S adaptive clothing: A range of school uniform and clothing that has been designed with disability in mind.
  • I'm Fine Attire: Woman's illness adapted clothing. This includes jeans with a built-in heat pack!
  • Kintsugi Clothing: Fashion made wheelchair-friendly, easy fastenings and ostomy access.
  • The Able Label: Discreet adaptive designs, innovative fastenings and hidden extras make dressing easier.
  • Able2Wear: Wheelchair adaptive clothing.
  • ModiBodi: Accessible period pants.
I know this has only scraped the surface but I'd love to know what you think.

Do you use fashion to express yourself? Do you use accessible clothing? Are there any brands you would recommend? Let us know in the comments below!
Scope

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for sharing @Chloe_Scope

I love the colour mustard and can just imagine you swishing through university in your coat  :)

I'm very hit and miss with fashion.  Some days I like to wear my hoodie and comfies, whilst other times I like to wear bright colourful outfits that are a bit quirky.  

I don't personally wear accessible fashion but from discussions with others would recommend:
    • Nicola Jane for mastectomy and post surgery bras.
    • Molke for women's underwear designed to suit different body types.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Cindy7007
    Cindy7007 Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    Hello

I love your message @Chloe_Scope,

It's lovely to hear how you changed people's initial reaction/perception of you and what they saw first on looking at you.  You sound like a very positive person who has learned to take whatever life throws at you in your stride.  
    I find on meeting new people, after a short time, any disability or differences we may have, fades into the background and people see the real you. 

I love fashion and new ideas to make my life easier and more independent,  I will be looking at the adaptable easy fastening clothing for days when my arthritic fingers are being a hindrance.

Thank you very much for sharing.

Cindy

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Campaigns Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    We're really glad you found it so helpful @Cindy7007 :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.