An introduction to Carer's Allowance — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

An introduction to Carer's Allowance

Community_Scope
Community_Scope Posts: 926 Scope online community team

What is Carer’s Allowance and who can claim it?

Carer’s Allowance is a benefit which is designed to provide financial support to an individual who cares for a disabled person, who is themselves in receipt of a qualifying disability benefit (such as the daily living component of PIP, middle or highest rate care element of DLA or Attendance Allowance.)
To be eligible for Carer’s Allowance you must be over 16 and not in full-time education, and spending at least 35 hours a week caring for the person. If you have a job then your earnings need to be £128 or less a week after tax, National Insurance and expenses to remain eligible.

How do I claim Carer’s Allowance?

You can apply for Carer’s Allowance online via the official government website. It is also possible to apply by post. For enquiries on Carer's Allowance, you can contact the Carer's Allowance Unit on 0800 731 0297 Textphone: 0800 731 0317

Relay UK (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone): 18001 then 0800 731 0297
Video relay service for British Sign Language (BSL) users - check you can use this service

You can find additional information on Carer's Allowance on Scope's dedicated benefits information pages.

Comments

• olympian
    olympian Community member Posts: 3 Connected
    I think I think the whole carers allowance system stinks to high heaven. That the weekly rate for what is a long term benefit is set at BELOW the rate for shorter benefits is obviously a Whitehall-generated wheeze. Who can afford to give up a career and care for a loved one, all for £69 or so pw? I know people will say you can claim more, but the basic help available is limited to that amount.
  • racyguy
    racyguy Community member Posts: 560 Pioneering
    olympian said:
    I think I think the whole carers allowance system stinks to high heaven. That the weekly rate for what is a long term benefit is set at BELOW the rate for shorter benefits is obviously a Whitehall-generated wheeze. Who can afford to give up a career and care for a loved one, all for £69 or so pw? I know people will say you can claim more, but the basic help available is limited to that amount.
    Stinks? it's utterly disgusting on many fronts.
    I myself am just finding out some of the restrictions of being able to be awarded Carers Allowance. My own situation and presumably those of millions of other similar people is that because I am old and receive the State Pension, we can't have it. You can care for 35 hours a week but if you receive the State Pension you are precluded from being awarded the £69.75 a week Carers Allowance. The DWP say that you can't be paid twice for the hours you give - your State Pension covers any caring duties that you carry out!
    However, if you are able to claim Pension Credit (a means tested benefit) because of a low income and have low savings you can have what is known as a Carers Premium at the 'discounted rate' of £38.85 per week instead of the full amount of £69.75 per week.
    Caring on the cheap -35 hours a week at £1.11 per hour for the impoverished State Pensioners who fit the bill to claim Pension Credit!! 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
  • Ladislav21
    Ladislav21 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Do you happen to know how it is? My wife and I are on PIP. I receive Carers Allowance for my wife, but nobody receives Carers Allowance for me. Can my wife collect Carers Allowance on my behalf, even if I receive it on her behalf?? and we live together? Thank you
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2022
    Do you happen to know how it is? My wife and I are on PIP. I receive Carers Allowance for my wife, but nobody receives Carers Allowance for me. Can my wife collect Carers Allowance on my behalf, even if I receive it on her behalf?? and we live together? Thank you
    What other benefits, any are you both claiming? Does your wife work?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ladislav21
    my wife only has PIP and I have Carers Allowance and Income Support on her
  • Ladislav21
    We both work and are on PIP. I am on income support, and from December 1, 2022 I am also on PIP
  • poppy123456
    We both work and are on PIP. I am on income support, and from December 1, 2022 I am also on PIP
    Does DWP know you are working? As you’re claiming Income Support then the first £20/ week of your earnings are ignored and then after this your Income Support is reduced £1 for £1. 

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Ladislav21
    We are not working. My wife has severe asthma and many other diseases, I have long-term type 2 diabetes and many other diseases. I just want to know if me and my wife can claim each other's Carers Allowance
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,046 Disability Gamechanger
    I wouldn't think so because you have both have a condition unless there's a main carer that dose the personal care, cooking, cleaning and medical things then that's how they would be able to claim is that right @poppy123456.
  • poppy123456
    We are not working. My wife has severe asthma and many other diseases, I have long-term type 2 diabetes and many other diseases. I just want to know if me and my wife can claim each other's Carers Allowance
    In a previous comment you said you were both working.
    We both work 
    Do you live with any other adults? If you don’t then you will be entitled to the Severe disability premium in with your Income Support. This will increase your IS by £69.40 per week. You need to contact IS to claim this. 
    As you already claim carers allowance for looking after your wife then you’ll only be entitled to the one SDP instead of couples rate. 
    Sorry for all the questions but without all the information I can’t give you correct advice.
    If other adults live with you and they don’t claim a qualifying disability benefit then your wife can claim carers allowance for looking after you. 
  • Ladislav21
    We help each other as much as I can, somehow we get by, but I still haven't found out anywhere about Carers Allowance. Even if we are both disabled, we only receive 1x Carers Allowance
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,046 Disability Gamechanger
    Don't be sorry you have to ask questions to get the right advice. 
  • Ladislav21
    Only my wife and I live in the house. As I wrote, I take Carers Allowance for about 5 years for my wife, but no one asked me. I don't know if my wife can claim Carers Allowance on me
    Poslech výslovnosti

• poppy123456
    I wouldn't think so because you have both have a condition unless there's a main carer that dose the personal care, cooking, cleaning and medical things then that's how they would be able to claim is that right @poppy123456.
    That’s not correct. Two people can claim carers allowance for looking after each other. 
    @Ladislav21 do you live with any other adults? If not then please see my previous comment.
  • Ladislav21
    My wife and I are the only adults in the apartment. I don't live with anyone else
  • poppy123456
    edited December 2022
    Only my wife and I live in the house. As I wrote, I take Carers Allowance for about 5 years for my wife, but no one asked me. I don't know if my wife can claim Carers Allowance on me
    Poslech výslovnosti

Then you can claim the Severe Disability premium single claim, which will increase your Income support by £69.40 week. It can be backdated to the start of your PIp award. If your wife claims carers allowance for looking after you then you won’t be entitled to the SDP.
    To claim SDP you need to ring Income Support.
    Claiming the SDP will be worth more than claiming an extra carers allowance. 
  • Ladislav21
    I'm very sorry, but I don't know what SDP means, I'm new to these things
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Abreviation for 
    poppy123456 said:
    Then you can claim the Severe Disability Premium single claim, which will increase your Income support by £69.40 week. It can be backdated to the start of your PIp award. If your wife claims carers allowance for looking after you then you won’t be entitled to the SDP.
    To claim SDP you need to ring Income Support.
    Claiming the SDP will be worth more than claiming an extra carers allowance. 

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    It’s Severe Disability Premium paid to those that claim certain means tested benefits and a disability benefit such as PIP daily living, if they live alone or treated as living alone. As you live with your partner who also claims a disability benefit then you will be entitled to this.
    If your partner claims carers allowance for looking after you then you will only be £38.85/week better off. If you claim the SDP then you'll be £69.40/week better off so it makes sense to claim the SDP in this situation.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.