An introduction to Carer's Allowance - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

An introduction to Carer's Allowance

Options
2»

Comments

• Ladislav21
    Ladislav21 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Options
    Thank you very much

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,400 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thank you very much

No problem. You need to ring Income Support on Monday and ask to claim the SDP. The form can be filled out over the phone and will take about 10 minutes. You also need to ask it to be paid from the start of your PIP award. It will take a few weeks for it to be awarded and put into payment.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ladislav21
    Ladislav21 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Options
    Even if I receive Carer's Allowance for my wife? So will the wife have to call and ask for SPD?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Even if I receive Carer's Allowance for my wife? So will the wife have to call and ask for SPD?
    The SDP would be paid as part of your Income Support claim because you receive a disability benefit and nobody claims Carer’s Allowance for looking after you. It is you that need to ring them, not your wife.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • birdwatcher
    birdwatcher Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    Options
    I keep wondering about carers allowance. I'll try and keep it brief
    My situation now is that I'm severely disabled. Constant pain, chronic mobility problems, incontinence amongst other things
    But I'm very very fortunate that I have a good friend who really looks after me. Everything I can't do now he does. Even when he's not physically here he rings to make sure I've eaten, had my meds etc. Everything included adds up to 35 hours a week, probably more. Were it not for him I'd be in a residential home by now. 
    I've told him before that I think he'd be entitled to carers allowance but he won't apply. He says looking after me helps his mental health, he was diagnosed with schizophrenia 14 or 15 years ago. 
    I get PIP , low rate daily living, higher rate mobility and LCWRA UC. I believe he gets ESA and PIP.  Anyone got any ideas please?

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,322 Scope online community team
    Options
    Heya @birdwatcher I think it's great you have such a supportive friend.  If they look after you for 35+ hours a week, I'd say they should apply.  I'm no expert on carers allowance, but from what I know, they tick all the right boxes. 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.