Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Persistent pain and language disorder
Hi, I joined last week but didn’t properly introduce myself at the time as I was feeling quite stressed. I have been suffering from persistent back and pelvic pain and fatigue for over ten years, which has gradually got worse over time. I am also dyslexic and have what I think is expressive language disorder and slow processing speed. Because of my pain and language disorder I find it really hard to find suitable work that I can actually do. I am unable to do any physical work or stand for long periods of time and I struggle with office/admin work that involves writing emails, letters, maths etc.
Until March this year I was working in a reception role which I’d been in for six years. I was working with a family member who trained me and was very patient with me. The company knew about my learning difficulties and were very understanding and I had support from other colleagues if I was struggling. The job also allowed me to sit all day, but I could stand too if I needed to. So it was great because I didn’t have pain flare ups and I had support in work. I believe I wouldn’t have this support in another similar role, as I know it was because of working with my family member that I was able to do the job. Because of Covid I haven’t worked since March, my furlough will finish this month and I don’t think they will need me back until at least Spring, if at all.
Im really worried about finding another job and what I can actually do, I feel so stuck. I tried a call centre job in the past which I was dismissed from because I couldn’t keep up with the training and I had a sales assistant job that caused me so much pain. I’m just not sure what I’m going to do and it’s making me feel so stressed and anxious.
I joined the community to chat to people and also try and get some advice for finding a new job and how to talk to potential employers about my pain and language disorder.
- 55.3K All Categories
- 10.8K Start here and say hello!
- 5.3K Coffee lounge
- 4.1K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.6K Research and opportunities
- 160 Community updates
- 12.3K Talk about your situation
- 1.8K Children, parents, and families
- 840 Work and employment
- 600 Education
- 1.2K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1.1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 302 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 270 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 22.3K Talk about money
- 2.3K Benefits and financial support
- 4.5K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.8K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.7K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4.2K Talk about your impairment
- 1.4K Cerebral palsy
- 705 Chronic pain and pain management
- 718 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 774 Autism and neurodiversity
- 953 Mental health and wellbeing
- 314 Sensory impairments