Advice for my mandatory reconsideration — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice for my mandatory reconsideration

Options
BPD
BPD Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi I am trying to write a mandatory reconsideration for my pip and need help with wording please.

I can’t think how to word it because I’m not appealing the whole thing so I can’t say “I’d like to request a mandatory reconsideration of the decision not to award me pip”.

I was awarded standard and believe I should have been awarded enhanced and I also want to appeal the length of award. I missed out on enhanced by one point and think I easily meet these points in some activities.

My original decision was paper-based and they even acknowledged in my report that they were missing some of the pages of my PIP2 (particularly the ones with the points I’m appealing). So they based their decision just on the other things and didn’t consider me for 2 descriptors at all.

Is this general template okay?

I’m writing to request a mandatory reconsideration on the decision  to not award me one point (PLEASE HELP with this bit I don’t know how to word it). 

I’m aware my reconsideration is late but (then my two reasons why). 

I feel I meet the descriptors for X and Y and understand that the information in my PIP2 wasn’t taken into account as the pages went missing between my posting them and them being scanned onto the system. I have included them again for reference.

I feel I meet these descriptors because (then my reasons why) and have enclosed (list of evidence). 

Yours sincerely 

Is that an okay general template for it? Do I have to write asking to submit it late and then ask for the MR or can I do both like this? Does anyone have a better way to word what my MR is for? 

Thank you for any help and sorry it is long 

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Hi @BPD - & welcome to the community.
    I would put something along the lines of,
    'I would like you to look at the daily living component of my PIP award again.'
    Then give your reasons as you've stated. Try & add a couple of detailed examples as to how, when, & why any activity in question was difficult, who witnessed it, & was there any consequence to this? Add in why feel you should have a longer award backed up by any relevant medical, or other evidence, & you're fine.
    A Mandatory Reconsideration can be sent up to 13 months after your decision letter, but yes, give your reasons why this is late in this letter.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,056 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI,

You need to be clear on which activity/descriptor you think you should have scored more points. You should also state the reasons why, giving a couple of recent real worl examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you. Adding who was with you and where you were when it happened.

For the length of time you need to put the reasons why you think you're entitled to a longer length award and what evidence you're sending to prove that your conditions are not likely to change.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.