New diagnosis - advice wanted please. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New diagnosis - advice wanted please.

Ria_porter16
Ria_porter16 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hello, in the last few days I have been diagnosed with absent epilepsy, I am still coming to terms with my new condition and trying to get used to my medication. My best friend has asked me, if I am with her and we’re near a road when I have an episode is she allowed to move me if she thinks I am unsafe? I understand that with some medical conditions there are certain things you can or cannot do, therefore I wanted to see what everyone says. Is it down to my discretion or are there specific things my family and friends can or cannot do if I have an episode? 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community, sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I dont know if you are in the right place for this sort of advice it is probably best answered by a medical professional rather than on an internet forum

We do have other members with epilepsy who may be able to help or have a look on the NHS website or you may find somehting on the following link

Epilepsy – Epilepsy Action Website: https://www.epilepsy.org.uk/ Helpline: 0800 800 5050 Email: helpline@epilepsy.org.uk  
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome to the community @Ria_porter16 :) Thanks for reaching out to us today.

I can imagine that being given this diagnosis and getting used to the medication could be quite overwhelming so please feel free to vent or ask for advice here on the community any time you need, or just pop on for a natter if you want to be distracted from everything for a while.

It's great that your best friend is asking these questions, and cares so much about your safety. I agree that it'd probably be best to speak to your doctor about this, as they'll be best placed to give you individual advice. 

I did find this free course on what to do if someone is having a seizure (including absence seizures) on the Epilepsy Action website though, so perhaps you could send that to your friend? 

As Jane said, it could be worth getting in touch with Epilepsy Action too, as they might have some resources for you.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hiya @Ria_porter16 and welcome to our online community.  It's great to meet you.

How are you today?  Are you managing your medication okay?

I've found this 'It's more than just seizures': National Epilepsy Week post that might help you.  I also believe @woodbine has epilepsy and could offer you some words of wisdom :)

I hope the initial shock is beginning to wear off.  I know it can feel like both a blessing to have an answer for mysterious symptoms, and a curse to get a seemingly 'scary' diagnosis.  The good news is you can access the right treatment now and your health-care team will be on hand to support you.

All the best and please let us know how you get on.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2020
    Hi @Ria_porter16, when you say "absent epilepsy" do you mean you have absences? I do suffer from epilepsy and have both tonic clonic and absence seizures. Epilepsy Action is a great source of help and info. The general rule is that people should ensure you are safe if it's safe for them to do so. It also depends to some degree how long the "episodes" last, my absences last between 30-90 seconds my "full blown" seizures as I call them have lasted from as little as 3 minutes up to 6 hours.
    The medication can take some getting used to and there many of them, your neurologist will work with you on that one.
    Good luck and its nice to meet you, if you have other questions feel free to ask them here or to send me a message.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Ria_porter16, hope you're managing okay :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Ria_porter16 - & welcome to the community from me also. I hope you find the above links & advice helpful. :)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.