What do you think of the channel 4 series The Undateables? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What do you think of the channel 4 series The Undateables?

Options
RacheleLeahSilvera
RacheleLeahSilvera Scope Member Posts: 77 Courageous
I absolutely love the show but know that many share different views.

Feel free to comment below.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,614 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I haven't seen it, but I never see anything except C4 news nowadays, I know that TV is a lifeline for many people but we have friends who watch it from getting up to going to bed when they are capable of doing much more, what a waste of two lives. (rant over)
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• RacheleLeahSilvera
    RacheleLeahSilvera Scope Member Posts: 77 Courageous
    Options
    woodbine said:
    I haven't seen it, but I never see anything except C4 news nowadays, I know that TV is a lifeline for many people but we have friends who watch it from getting up to going to bed when they are capable of doing much more, what a waste of two lives. (rant over)
    @woodbine
    Is everything ok? Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like you are having a bad day from some of your previous replies on other topics.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,614 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @RacheleLeahSilvera its good of you to ask and i'm sorry if anything I have said has offended anyone, i'm having a few bad days atm family problems that I won't bore anyone with x
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We are always here to listen @woodbine
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • littleacorn
    littleacorn Community member Posts: 368 Pioneering
    Options
    I cant bring myself to watch it the title alone puts me straight off it.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Think I have only watched it a couple of times not a fan of it Im afraid the concept of it as I dint think people should be labelled un dateable
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As Ami said, we're all here to listen @woodbine, so we wouldn't be bored by you sharing the challenges you're facing :) Please remember that you can always reach out to us if you need to. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It's a really interesting topic @RacheleLeahSilvera, so thank you for starting the conversation! What are your thoughts on it? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2020
    Options
    @woodbine I hope things get better soon  <3

@RacheleLeahSilvera Great topic.  Overall I like the programme.  The people on it are real characters and it's heart warming to see the dates and relationships begin to develop.  

However, I think it can attract some viewers who delight in mocking those taking part, with negative comments aimed at their impairments.  This makes me uneasy and, I believe, reflects the notion that non-disabled people are somehow superior and can pass judgement.  No, just no!  Impairments aren't entertainment and disabled people are your equal  :s
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    Options
    I've applied to go on it 3 times... Meh, I live too far North IMO, most of the dates were centred round the South East coast, Brighton etc, although they did have one over in Lincolnshire.

• chloeblue04
    chloeblue04 Community member Posts: 234 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello RacheleLeahSilvera

I watched The Undateables on TV before. 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    Options
    I’m not sure what I think anymore, but I’m sure that unless it’s pc I can’t express it. I wait to be told what to think on most subjects by the pc crowd...I think ? 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• MissMarple
    MissMarple Community member Posts: 187 Pioneering
    Options
    I've watched quite a few episodes recently. I like the concept, it's good to see so many different characters trying to do something to improve their lives. And it might help other people in similar situations to look at their own prospects to find love differently. Because it is heartbreaking to see people believing that they are not worthy of love just because they have a disability. For lots of people on the show it's not their disability that is in the way to find a partner but their lack of confidence or the ignorance of other people.  
  • CoffeeFirst
    CoffeeFirst Scope Member Posts: 200 Pioneering
    Options
    I’ve now watched all episodes and found it really interesting. I can’t say I liked the programme title particularly but I do like the concept. It’s also an eye opener for other people in the community who don’t know so much about what others have to go through in their lives.

I do hope they bring back a new series. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.