Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Flexible Working Request refused - advice please?
I am supporting a friend of mine who has submitted a flexible work request to her Manager and had it refused. She has a long standing mental health condition and an eating disorder for which she has had treatment for many years. She is a productive member of staff, she very rarely takes time off sick and her work rate is proven far higher than many of her peers. During the summer she struggled with the isolation of lockdown and her Nan died of Covid so she asked for a 4 week period of reduced hours to enable her to grieve and manage her mental health. She feels that this should have been taken as a compassionate leave request or similar.She has submitted a request to condense her hours, with a slight reduction, to enable her to work a 4 day week allowing her a Friday to access counselling again and to support her parents who are older. Her request was refused because her company said that she had already had one request and would have to wait until next July to submit another. She is devastated by this as she has really struggled this year, she lives alone. She consistently out performs her colleagues, there are colleagues due to return from maternity leave who it appears may be granted part time work. She is not asking for part time just longer days and shorter weeks. Can you offer any advice please? Thank you
- 49.2K All Categories
- 9.7K Start here and say hello!
- 4K Coffee lounge
- 3.9K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.4K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 135 Community updates
- 11.5K Talk about your situation
- 1.7K Children, parents, and families
- 656 Work and employment
- 525 Education
- 964 Housing, transport, and independent living
- 924 Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 244 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 248 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 19.4K Talk about money
- 1.8K Benefits and financial support
- 4.2K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 11.4K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2K Universal Credit (UC)
- 3.6K Talk about your impairment
- 1.2K Cerebral palsy
- 585 Chronic pain and pain management
- 648 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 702 Autism and neurodiversity
- 840 Mental health and wellbeing
- 287 Sensory impairments
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.