Scammers BE WARNED — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Scammers BE WARNED

Options
Fourpence
Fourpence Community member Posts: 17 Connected
This week I was amazed that I was caught by a phone scammers who emptied our bank account in front of me. They are very plausible knew my name, said he was head of security of my bank, that they were trying to stop an unauthorised payment, so sucked in by threat of someone trying to take from me,  I asked for proof, , told me 2 amounts that had been put in account so I thought he was from bank.Long story, but he took £749 left me 41p, last think he said was black lives matter, black lives matter and hung up. Contacted bank, but they have refused to help said it was my fault. Just be extra careful,  Merry Christmas 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,006 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI and welcome,

I'm sorry to hear this. These people are very clever indeed. Although a bank will never ever ring you to ask you to transfer any money to any account in this way.

There's actually a warning on my banking app warning me of this exact scam.

There's some information here for how to get your money back. https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/how-to-get-your-money-back-after-a-scam All banks have a responsibility to protect your money, even though it was your fault. You also have the right to challenge your bank about the decision they made not to help you further. All details in the link provided.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Fourpence

I'm sorry to hear this happened to you.  It's something that could very easily happen to any one of us as the fraudsters are professional and extremely believable.  I hope the information @poppy123456 provided helps you challenge the banks decision and thank you for sharing this with our community as a heads up to others.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Fourpence
    Fourpence Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    Options
    Thank you all for your support, never thought it would ever happen to me. Just wish people were kinder to each other, we all have problems be it health, wealth (or lack of). I just hope that the people who do this will get caught on day. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.