Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Hi, I'm user331! Does anyone have advice on how to best support my partner?

user331 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited December 2020 in Mental health and wellbeing
hello im 18 and suffer from panic disorder and stress disorder. i care for my parter who suffers with serve adhd depression and axiety . i spoke to doctors about having my partner assed for other mental health conditions as the past few tablets hes had have had little to no effect. im just looking for some support and advice . thank you 


  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @user331

    Merry Christmas and welcome to the community :) 

    It sounds like you're going through a lot at the moment, but you've come to the right place, this is a really supportive and friendly community.

    Have you explored the possibility of counselling for your partner? It's a shame the last few tablets haven't had much impact on him, it might be worth discussing with your GP about other ways in which the mental health can be tackled.
    Online Community Coordinator

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,137 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @user331 - & welcome to this friendly & supportive community. I'm sorry your partner is having a difficult time with his medication. Some tablets have to be taken for a while before they have any effect, which might be the case. As Ross suggests, you should talk with your partner's GP to see if they can help, or advise.
    Please let us know how you get on. :)
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,505 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome to the community @user331 :) I'm sorry to hear that you and your partner are going through such a difficult time at the moment. 

    As the others have suggested, speaking to a GP would be your best best. There are quite a few different medications that can be used to treat conditions such as ADHD, depression, and anxiety, so it could take a bit of time to find a combination that works.

    As Ross mentioned, counselling or therapy could also be a good option for both you and your partner. Is your panic disorder and stress disorder under control at the moment? 

    Just to let you know, I've moved your post into the mental health issues category, and renamed it slightly, so that other members will be able to find it more easily. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

    Sign our petition calling on politicians to stop demonising us
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.