Hi, my name is Nanny10! Query on DFG Application and Land Charge — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Hi, my name is Nanny10! Query on DFG Application and Land Charge

Nanny10 Member Posts: 2 Listener
Disabled Facilities Grant Query
I have an adult child with disabilities a wet room has been agreed to meet her needs I am retired and a home owner and my child does not pay rent .  I have been told 2 conflicting application details .  Firstly, I will be the applicant and anything over £5k will result in a charge being placed on my property for a  period of years.  Secondly, I was told by Occupational Therapist the applicant will be my daughter and as she is not the home owner there can be no land registry charge.  She does not pay me rent so she is not a tenant either?‍♀️  Which one is 100% accurate ? Has anybody had exactly the same issue if so what was the outcome? ???


  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Posts: 9,601 Scope online community team
    Hello and welcome to the community @Nanny10 :) I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you at the moment, so I've marked your post as unanswered. I've also moved it into our finances category, so that other members will be able to find it more easily. 

    Who told you the first piece of information? Have you been in touch with your local council's relevant department? 

    That being said, I have read that the Disabled Facilities Grant is for adults and children who:
    • own and live in their own home 
    • are private tenants
    • are housing association tenants
    • are struggling with daily tasks
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to tell us how we're doing? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Nanny10
    Nanny10 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Occ therapist who has 30 years experience .  They lost the contract end of November now back with LA and LA sent our contractor who made me do another application from scratch in my name instead of daughters name and saying must have charge on property for costs that are over £5k up to £10k we have no savings are live on basic means. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,198 Disability Gamechanger

    The first advice is correct. As the property is yours that you own then the DFG will be in your name, not your son/daughter. As the grant is more than £5,000, one of the conditions is, if you move within a certain amount of time then you will need to repay the grant back. How much the charge will be will depend on how much the grant is for. If it's £6,000 there will be a £1,000 charge, for £7,000 a £2,000 charge and so on. The charge will apply if you moved house within 10 years.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.