Finances and extra costs
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Hi, my name is Nanny10! Query on DFG Application and Land Charge

Nanny10Nanny10 Member Posts: 2 Listener
Disabled Facilities Grant Query
I have an adult child with disabilities a wet room has been agreed to meet her needs I am retired and a home owner and my child does not pay rent .  I have been told 2 conflicting application details .  Firstly, I will be the applicant and anything over £5k will result in a charge being placed on my property for a  period of years.  Secondly, I was told by Occupational Therapist the applicant will be my daughter and as she is not the home owner there can be no land registry charge.  She does not pay me rent so she is not a tenant either🤷‍♀️  Which one is 100% accurate ? Has anybody had exactly the same issue if so what was the outcome? 🙈🙈🙏


  • Tori_ScopeTori_Scope Posts: 5,742

    Scope community team

    Hello and welcome to the community @Nanny10 :) I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you at the moment, so I've marked your post as unanswered. I've also moved it into our finances category, so that other members will be able to find it more easily. 

    Who told you the first piece of information? Have you been in touch with your local council's relevant department? 

    That being said, I have read that the Disabled Facilities Grant is for adults and children who:
    • own and live in their own home 
    • are private tenants
    • are housing association tenants
    • are struggling with daily tasks
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Nanny10Nanny10 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Occ therapist who has 30 years experience .  They lost the contract end of November now back with LA and LA sent our contractor who made me do another application from scratch in my name instead of daughters name and saying must have charge on property for costs that are over £5k up to £10k we have no savings are live on basic means. 
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,249 Disability Gamechanger

    The first advice is correct. As the property is yours that you own then the DFG will be in your name, not your son/daughter. As the grant is more than £5,000, one of the conditions is, if you move within a certain amount of time then you will need to repay the grant back. How much the charge will be will depend on how much the grant is for. If it's £6,000 there will be a £1,000 charge, for £7,000 a £2,000 charge and so on. The charge will apply if you moved house within 10 years.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
Sign in or join us to comment.