Hi, my name is Nanny10! Query on DFG Application and Land Charge — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Nanny10! Query on DFG Application and Land Charge

Options
Nanny10
Nanny10 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Disabled Facilities Grant Query
I have an adult child with disabilities a wet room has been agreed to meet her needs I am retired and a home owner and my child does not pay rent .  I have been told 2 conflicting application details .  Firstly, I will be the applicant and anything over £5k will result in a charge being placed on my property for a  period of years.  Secondly, I was told by Occupational Therapist the applicant will be my daughter and as she is not the home owner there can be no land registry charge.  She does not pay me rent so she is not a tenant either?‍♀️  Which one is 100% accurate ? Has anybody had exactly the same issue if so what was the outcome? ???

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the community @Nanny10 :) I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you at the moment, so I've marked your post as unanswered. I've also moved it into our finances category, so that other members will be able to find it more easily. 

Who told you the first piece of information? Have you been in touch with your local council's relevant department? 

That being said, I have read that the Disabled Facilities Grant is for adults and children who:
    • own and live in their own home 
    • are private tenants
    • are housing association tenants
    • are struggling with daily tasks
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Nanny10
    Nanny10 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Occ therapist who has 30 years experience .  They lost the contract end of November now back with LA and LA sent our contractor who made me do another application from scratch in my name instead of daughters name and saying must have charge on property for costs that are over £5k up to £10k we have no savings are live on basic means. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

The first advice is correct. As the property is yours that you own then the DFG will be in your name, not your son/daughter. As the grant is more than £5,000, one of the conditions is, if you move within a certain amount of time then you will need to repay the grant back. How much the charge will be will depend on how much the grant is for. If it's £6,000 there will be a £1,000 charge, for £7,000 a £2,000 charge and so on. The charge will apply if you moved house within 10 years.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.