Disabled people
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Care provider

uk71uk71 Member Posts: 29 Connected
edited December 2020 in Disabled people
I want to find out whether my care providers can use the tier 4 restrictions as an excuse not to provide me with face-to-face support.

I am having to move because I am facing an eviction. My private landlord breached planning law. He was forced to give me an eviction notice as a result of his breach. I have been working with my local council to find suitable alternative accommodation. But I ended up finding the accommodation myself.

Leaving a privately rented accommodation for another has put great legal and practical obligations on myself. Also working with my local council to find accommodation and now going through the process of the council discharging their legal duty towards me has further given rise to more legal and practical obligations on me.

I am a vulnerable person under the care of my local adult social services. I wish to be continuously supported throughout the moving process by my support worker from my care providing service. But the deputy manager wants to use the tier 4 restrictions as an excuse to stop face-to-face meetings with my support worker. She wants my support sessions to be conducted by way of Zoom instead.

I am not happy particularly as I have to contribute towards the cost of my care. I wish to complain to social services as I feel this form of support wholly does not meet my needs in the circumstances. But I wanted to use this forum first to get other people's opinions.


  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger

    When you moved house, did you move to a different local council or the same local council?

    I think with the Tier 4 restirctions and your support, it will totally depend what support you actually receive. If this support can be done through zoom, rather than face to face then yes, they can do this because face to face contact isn't advised unless there's no other alternative.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • uk71uk71 Member Posts: 29 Connected
    Hi poppy123456. I will be staying with the same council. I am only moving about ten minutes away from where I am at the moment. The point is that the move has given rise to a huge amount of practical and legal obligations which I should be supported with. Remote support is not adequate in the circumstances.
Sign in or join us to comment.